But wait, this article asks: what if, by teaching them not to be violent, we hurt their feelings? No, seriously, it actually asks that. So, while I get that its writer, Perri Klass, thinks we should teach boys to protect themselves from predators, and teach girls not to be violent assholes, and totally agree with her on these points, her constant worries that “you may get an official worldview in which boys are viewed as potential criminals and girls as potential victims,” or that “boys need to understand that there are people — male and female — who will see them as potential predators, and judge them automatically at fault in any ambiguous situation,” along with the whole let’s-not-talk-about-the-fact-that-lots-of-girls-actually-are-assaulted-or-abused-by-male-peers aspect of her article, makes the whole piece, um, not my favorite.
Say, you know who doesn’t love your teenagers? Me! I was also a teenager myself at one point, and dated boys of that age! For this reason, I am entirely qualified to teach them lessons about how to treat the ladies.** Therefore, free of charge, I am offering this comprehensive blog-based sexual and dating education platform, which will soon be taught in schools across this great nation, assuming (as I always do) that teachers are extremely irresponsible and want to get sued. Behold my various not-at-all inappropriate tips!
2) YOU ARE NOT TOO TIRED TO PUT ON A CONDOM. It takes five seconds, and if this physical exertion is too much for you, may I suggest you refrain from the demanding exercise known as sexual intercourse? You are also not too numb in the weiner to put on a condom; even if it takes five, ten, or fifteen additional minutes for you to have an orgasm, this may actually be a good thing, and if you are mystified as to why that might be, again: I suggest not fucking. Finally, as a man once suggested to a friend of mine in what has become my Very Favorite Bad Sex Story of All Time, it is not “useless” for you to wear a condom because you “probably have STDs anyway.” A gentleman does not boast about the quantity and variety of diseases contracted by his member, let alone offer to rub them up against a lady because, heck, he’s got nothing to lose. A gentleman puts on the damn condom – which, if he had been doing it all along, would have prevented him from contracting such remarkably variegated crotch rot in the first place.
3) YOUR FRIENDS ARE DICKS. Actually, this is not universally true. When it is true, however, it explains a puzzling aspect of high-school dating life: the phenomenon whereby a young man is perfectly nice to his girlfriend when they are alone together, but feels the need to put her down, say sexist stuff to or about her, or otherwise treat her like some unwelcome substance he has unwittingly stepped in when he invites her to hang out with his friends. This is a thing that boys do, I am told, to prove that they are not “pussy-whipped!” Or “loving!” Or “decent people!” If your friends are so threatened by girls that they lose respect for you when you treat one well, here are two options: (1) don’t date girls, or (2) get better friends.
4) GUESS WHO GETS TO DECIDE WHETHER TO HAVE AN ABORTION? Hint: she has a fetus in her hoo-ha!
5) SERIOUSLY, JUST PUT ON THE CONDOM. Why are we still talking about this? Bag your groceries, dude.
6) AUGH, BUT TAKE IT OFF AGAIN RIGHT AFTER! AUGH! The stuff drips back out! It is terrible!
7) YOUR VIRGINITY IS A PRECIOUS GIFT FROM BABY JESUS. For that reason, don’t have sex until you are ready to not act like a complete tool about it afterwards. Baby Jesus doesn’t want to overhear you talking about how you banged [X], possibly in the butt (no, you didn’t), and it was awesome. Baby Jesus, like the rest of us, is not that impressed.
8) I HAVE AN AWESOME SEDUCTION TACTIC FOR FOOLING OTHERWISE UNWILLING WOMEN INTO SLEEPING WITH YOU. IT IS: (1) Realize that seeking out seduction tactics for fooling otherwise unwitting women into sleeping with you makes you a bad person. (2) Feel bad about that. (3) Become a better person.
9) EVERYONE MAKES BAD DECISIONS, AND HAS REGRETS. In the end, I must agree with New York Times columnist Perri Klass, M.D, who says that “sometimes people make dumb decisions. Sometimes you decide to do something and then you wish you hadn’t done it, and that doesn’t necessarily make you bad or good, though it may make you sadder and wiser.” I would further add that some bad decisions, such as hitting a lady to express your disapproval of her, or stalking her, or fucking her without her explicit and enthusiastic consent, are so widely regarded as bad that they actually occupy a special category of bad decisions, known as “crimes!” When people commit these “crimes,” we send them to a special place, where they can take a court-mandated amount of time to think about and regret them. It is called “jail,” and if you do these things, it is where you will go. One hopes.
10) CHICKS DIG TATTOOS. So get a tattoo! Get this one. Remember: the Internet said it was OK. Trust the Internet, and all will be well!
11) HUMAN SEXUALITY IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING. DOUCHEBAGGERY LACKS ALL SPLENDOR. As you are probably aware, sometimes dudes like to date the dudes, just as some ladies prefer to date the ladies. Should you want to make a person switch from dating dudes to dating ladies, or vice versa, here is what you can do to make that happen: absolutely fucking nothing. Not shaming people, not hitting people, not suggesting to the lady-dating ladies that perhaps if they had an opportunity to see and touch your penis they would rethink their positions re: penises in general. In fact, doing those things makes you a tool! Youth of America, if there is one thing I have to teach you, it is this: stop being tools. Also, if you want to date the dudes or the ladies, don’t let tools change your mind on this very important issue. You get to date who you want to date, people in general are going to date who they want to date, and that is always awesome and commendable so long as they treat their dates with respect, because dating is like having a field of sunflowers in your heart. In fact, if you are not a hateful meathead bully, someday people may even want to date you. Note: this is not guaranteed.
**This statement is factually inaccurate.