Skip to content

Why I Didn’t Delete Tiger Beatdown

I really like blogging. I really like blogging, a whole lot. I have met several of my closest friends through it. I met the guy I’m currently dating through it. Blogging has improved my life to a tremendous degree, and given me self-confidence and something to look forward to and care about, in a way I would not previously have imagined possible.

I also think deleting blogs is bad, because it’s a way of denying accountability.

HOWEVER. I struggle, on a more or less daily basis, with the urge to delete this blog. While I can no doubt be a jerk and a bad person at times, sometimes on this very blog, I don’t want to erase that. I would just go and do it somewhere else, anyway. And I like being called out; I like being held accountable. I was raised Catholic, so I believe a regular dose of guilt and penance is good for the soul. If no-one ever chastises you, how will you know what you screwed up? But I also don’t feel, given some of the people and forces I am currently interacting with, that it is a good idea for me to have shared so much information regarding my past abuse and sexual assault via blogging. Or, for that matter, information about my family. Which is why I want so badly to delete this blog and never look back.

I wrote the whole blog, and everything else I wrote, on the assumption that nobody would ever be interested in me in an actively hostile way (well, not again; there was one scary thing, a long while ago), or on the assumption that, if someone took that sort of interest, they would be an isolated individual (as in the case of the one scary thing). That was a stupid assumption to make. Because when I wrote this blog, I forgot about what happened to Kathy Sierra.

Or Melissa McEwan and Amanda Marcotte. Or Jessica Valenti. Or, like, basically anyone else whose name I know: When feminist women reach a certain critical mass of readership or influence, then mass negative exposure and harassment invariably comes their way. Sooner or later, there are just too many people who know about you, and the threats become credible: Blacklisting, hacking, smear campaigns, invasion of private property, maybe even straight-up bodily harm. At a certain point it goes beyond grudges or trolling or sarcastic comments or even just isolated scary dudes; it becomes a large-scale Thing, and it attracts its fair share of people who operate without anything even vaguely resembling a conscience.

I knew this happened a lot, and I even wrote about it, because it’s an important issue, but for some reason, I was able to avoid it or was sheltered from it for a very long time, relatively speaking. I made it past the two-year mark, and well into year three, before it hit me, and our readership got pretty large beforehand. So I figured it wouldn’t happen to me, because I wasn’t important enough as a target, or because people were just being weirdly nice to me — Harriet J had to shut down Fugitivus temporarily after, I believe, writing one damn blog entry about Google Buzz that was less than flattering; it happened to Annaham and FWD over one blog post criticizing AN AMANDA PALMER SIDE PROJECT, for chrissakes — and I didn’t take appropriate precautions. And then it happened. Because it always does.

I mean, let’s review just a few of the more famous cases. They often have something to do with women approaching positions of power: As we all know, when Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan were hired for the John Edwards campaign, there was a national and frequently televised campaign aimed not only at getting them fired, but at making them functionally unemployable. It went on for a long while, it was vicious, and it involved Bill O’Reilly, which is never fun. Furthermore, Jessica Valenti was accused of slutting it up with Bill Clinton because she was in a room with him along with some other people, and there was a photo of all the people in the room (including Jessica Valenti and Bill Clinton), and she was standing with one shoulder forward in the photo, so: You know. Clearly some hot, slutty Clinton action happening there. In each case, this happened because the women were getting too close to power: A President, a presidential candidate. The idea that these women might be doing politics, not “just” gender politics. That was enough to set it off.

If it’s not power, it’s geek stuff. Because we are on the Internet, and the geeks are powerful. Kathy Sierra was subject to one of the most vicious, frightening campaigns of harassment and death threats that anyone has ever seen, because she spoke about software development. And being a lady, but mostly: Being a lady as it related to software development. “I am afraid to leave my yard, I will never feel the same. I will never be the same,” she wrote, to explain why she had to quit working and earning money as a speaker for a while. You can read this on her Wikipedia page, which doesn’t mention what set the “controversy” (???) off, and on which — as on virtually every Wikipedia page which even suggests the existence of something called “misogyny” or “sexism” — there is a sign reading “the neutrality of this article is disputed.” (Click through to the talk page, and you will see that it’s “disputed” because it’s being edited by a man accused of stalking and harassment, and specifically accused by Kathy Sierra of harassing Kathy Sierra online, and that the reason it is so careful around the topic of her harassment is that one has to consider the feelings of the harassers, who don’t want anyone to think that they are bad people. “Harassment” is frequently put in scare quotes, on this talk page.) Then there was Harriet J and her criticism of Google Buzz — no, not Google Buzz!!!! — or McEwan, again, who got one of the biggest pile-ups of her career on a post about a video game called “Fat Princess.” Video games, tech, Google, basic Internet geek stuff: These are the things you’re not allowed to approach, for fear of harassment. And let us not discuss this episode, shall we? Which was basically “the time the Internet found out feminist blogs existed, and was really mad?”

The other thing you can do wrong is to piss off a celebrity. Which is what happened to Annaham, when Amanda Palmer was displeased about Annaham’s opinions in re: Amanda Palmer’s very edgy and groundbreaking side project. (Also, you cannot leave comments on that essay by Annaham. I have disallowed it.) Or Amanda Hess, when she made fun of Tucker Max and he immediately started a “contest” for his fans to see who could harass her the most effectively. Even Jezebel and Irin Carmon got a bit of it when they made Jon Stewart have a sadface.

So, the four things you should avoid are: Power and politics, giving the impression that you have power in politics, topics of interest to the geeks, and offending celebrities.

HEYYYYYYY, who just started a widely-covered, somewhat successful campaign to piss off celebrities in regard to their statements about the founder of WIKILEAKS???? THIS GIRL. HIGH FIVES. HAND ME AN UMBRELLA, IT’S RAININ’ SHIT TODAY.  

So, like, if WikiLeaks is mad at me, and random mobs of cyberdudes are mad at me, and the right-wing dudes are mad at me, and the left-wing dudes are mad at me, and plenty of other people are mad at me, I honestly don’t want a whole lot of people looking at something where I talk about my experiences with sexual assault. Like, there’s a really obvious way for someone to hurt me, right there. I could be paranoid, but I think the circumstances of the past month warrant a little reasonable paranoia.

I mean, some will argue that I was paranoid and unreasonable throughout. I published one message on my personal blog about how I was a “collaborator” and I was lucky because they were “just” going to forcibly shave my head… maybe. But WORSE things happened to people who were not just “collaborators,” but TRAITORS… which I’d been CALLED… YESTERDAY… I mean, I construed this as a death threat; immediately, someone was like, “that’s not really a death threat! You should apologize for calling it that!”

But experienced trolls know that they can go to court or at the very least get kicked off the website they’re using, if they phrase a death threat as such; they know this because they do this all day long, and are invested in continuing to do it, and in not facing consequences. Trolls have directed me to libel law, or details of harassment policies, unprompted, after writing something about me. Because they fucking study it, that’s why. Because they know that they have to be careful, because they libel and harass all day long and don’t want to face any consequences. So, yeah. If you write me a vague and suggestively worded message about how you’re going to come at me with a razor and I’ll be lucky if you “just” shave my head with it, I take that seriously. If you write something about “why don’t you [die] and put us all out of your misery,” I take that seriously, because you might be joking, but that’s a lit match tossed onto this whole gasoline-soaked conversation, and even if you are joking, there is a wide array of creepy people who are NOT joking about wanting to shut me up in any possible way, so could you like NOT add your exciting new death-related ideas about how to shut me up? Even if you send me a surprisingly reasonable-sounding message about all the “enemies I just made,” and it is anonymous, I will know that it’s probably related to feminist blog drama. (Which: sorry about that. That was full-on stupid.) BUT I WILL NOT BE SURE. So, like, sign your name to it, JEEZ. I’m not going to shave your head; we’ll argue, I’ll listen, or we’ll have some minor acrimony. But YOWZERS, right now, could you consider what it sounds like when you tell me I have unspecified “enemies” plotting their vengeance upon me where I can’t see it? Could you sign your name, just so I know that — despite the dudes who want to assault me with sharp objects, despite the people who wish I was dead, despite the messages saying we ALL have to open up and give them our pussies, we ALL have to suck their dicks because they know we want it deep down — this group of vengeful enemies are bloggers or writers or Internet feminists AND NOT A BUNCH OF GUYS WITH STRAIGHT RAZORS AND THE GLEAM OF MURDER IN THEIR EYES???? Jeez, come on.

I’m not minimizing anyone’s support. It has meant the world to me. It really has. And there’s been a lot of it. But one perfectly reasonable person wrote a tag (and then apparently deleted the post tagged with it, because people are nice to me, and someone told him that it wasn’t appropriate) that read “Sady Doyle always takes the rape bait.” I came across the tag, and I thought about how much time I actually do have on my hands, and then I left my personal blog. I’ll probably delete it, once the withdrawal passes; I don’t think it’s appropriate for me to have a personal blog any more, for a few reasons. But also:  No matter how many people are nice to you, or what the intent was (I really do think it was a mistake; someone made a mildly rude joke and took it down) nothing mitigates or alleviates that feeling — someone is out there, and you don’t know who they are, and you don’t know where they are, and they plan to hurt you, and you can’t stop it. No amount of friends makes that better. Because it could BE any one of your friends. That’s what that does. No matter how many people like you, you’re always twitchy and craning your neck, waiting for the punch.

And, to bring it back to the point of how this is all of us, how it’s not just me, do you want to know why “Sady Doyle always takes the rape bait” wasn’t really that funny? Behold the words of Harriet J at Fugitivus, on who her “Frequent” contacts on Google Buzz are!

…people who email my ANONYMOUS blog account, which gets forwarded to my personal account. They are frequent contacts as well. Most of them, they are nice people. Some of them are probably nice but a little unbalanced and scary. A minority of them — but the minority that emails me the most, thus becoming FREQUENT — are psychotic men who think I deserve to be raped because I keep a blog about how I do not deserve to be raped, and this apparently causes the Hulk rage.

So, this is written BEFORE her entry, which is primarily about Google Buzz and not rape at all outside of this one line, got covered and linked to all over. And here’s her comment AFTER the linking:

I’m approving this after deleting hundreds of comments like this, since I’ve addressed this a few times already, and since most of those comments also included “u r stupid get raped.”

And here’s Harriet J after she finally comes back to her own blog:

Here is the arrogant thing that I am just going to have to say even though it makes me cringe: I CANNOT SEEM TO STOP THIS BLOG FROM BECOMING POPULAR. Despite never making an attempt to gain or keep readers, despite never trying to name-drop or publicize (because I wanted a quiet little livejournal), I keep getting popular. And being popular brings a whole new slew of concerns into my life. The comments and the emails take up more and more of my time. It’s a lot more work and anxiety to make my blog posts, knowing how many people are reading themI shut my blog down because I didn’t want to deal with all the attention.

And the thing is, given who might be reading me, I can’t even bring myself to link to this. But you should pay attention to these three quotes, because they are a perfect little fable of how feminists and women deal (or are allowed to deal) with success. Other people are allowed to seek popularity. Other people are allowed to think it is a good thing. And yet, over here, we know that popularity is not good, but BAD. Feminists often RUN THE HELL AWAY FROM POPULARITY. At least, we do if we’ve got any darn sense in our heads or have seen this happen often enough. (I have a little sense. Not a lot, or enough.) Or if we don’t run away from it, our first instinct is to disavow basic things to which all writers should be entitled, like pride in our work, or a hope that our work might be read and respected. And the reason is this:

Because you cannot so much as mention “not deserving to be raped,” in a blog post about freaking GOOGLE PRIVACY SETTINGS, without getting hundreds of comments about how you should go get raped immediately, because you deserve to be raped so very much. If that blog post cracks the mainstream, if it is even so much as linked to by a newspaper, DANG, you’ve got rape threats. (“You’ve Got Rape Threats” is also the title of the worst Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan comedy ever, by the way.) So many threats you have to stop blogging, maybe. So many that you view your talent as a liability, not a blessing; so many you wish you’d never tried to write; so many you lament this uncontrollable curse, this thing called “popularity.” Maybe you come back after you shut down the blog. And maybe you don’t. And then we lose another one, because the cost of being female and talented on the Internet is just too fucking high.

And for you? The guy making the joke? It’s “rape bait,” maybe. Maybe you don’t mean it. Maybe you’re just fucking with us ’cause we’re so sensitive. Maybe it’s a really, really funny joke, and I just don’t get it. For you, though, it’s “rape bait.” And for us? IT’S OUR LIVES.

I honestly was able to avoid this for a shockingly long time, and to get a shockingly high amount of exposure before it happened. I had to break EVERY RULE in the Don’t Get Hated Handbook before it happened to me. And I still haven’t gotten it as bad as other online feminists have gotten it. The backlash I’m dealing with from #MooreandMe is MINOR, as these things go. It really is. As always, the people they’re really targeting are the ones who seem easier to attack, and who seem to have less support. The mere fact that I’m in the middle of all this is part of what’s protecting me from its most extreme manifestations; I might get the most attacks, but I don’t get the worst ones. Although, now that I’ve typed that sentence, I’m sure things will probably change.

But like anyone in this position, I have contemplated shutting Tiger Beatdown off entirely and never trying to write anything for anyone ever again because they probably hate me anyway and this isn’t going to stop unless I stop writing 4-EVA and WAHHHHHH. (Q: Do I now understand how Olbermann felt when he shut down his Twitter? A: No, I still have no idea what it feels like to have millions of dollars, a TV show, a peiner, and the official White Cis Man License to be Angry.) But I have contemplated this course of action, and I have found it to be stupid. I’m not getting silenced; I’m okay. I’m learning from this. And as I said before, I want you to continue to hold me accountable, because being held accountable is how we grow and improve. I’m not saying I was never petty or overly confrontational or reckless or immature or just plain mean; I clearly was, at certain points, and legitimate anger is legitimate. Please: Even contact me to explain what I did wrong, if you are not yet another guy writing a comment that reads “why do you hate Julian Assange?” I actually want to know these things.

But this isn’t about legitimate anger. This is about something that happens over and over, no matter who you are, if too many people hear you speak. This isn’t about legitimate anger, and it never is. This is about abuse. This is about sexual harassment. This is about hurting women because they’re women, over and over, until they go away.

At a certain point in my life, I put a whole lot of information relating to abuse, sexual assault, and my family and friends, online. I did not anticipate, at this point in my life, that this information could be used to hurt my family and friends, or me. That was a faulty assumption.

But here’s the thing. Here’s why I’m not deleting Tiger Beatdown: They only do it if you’re good. Seriously. They only do it if your work reaches people, and convinces people, and if they literally cannot frame an opposing argument that they think might have any chance of winning. They can’t beat you in an argument; that’s why they abuse you, that’s why they try to make you feel as worthless and self-loathing and incapable of self-defense as any other abused person, that’s why they abuse you till you can’t work or even think about anything but being abused, that’s why they try to make you believe that it won’t stop till you stop publishing or die. That’s why they make you want to stop publishing. Or make you want to die. Because after all of it, after all the “bitch” and “cunt” and “die” and “dyke” and “ugly” and “smoker” (???) and “I’monna rape ye, woman,” there is actually one threat scarier than ALL of that: The threat that you’re right, and you’re going to win. And that’s the threat that you pose.

Like I said: I just really, really, really like blogging.

181 Comments

  1. Aoede wrote:

    Thank you.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink
  2. B. wrote:

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink
  3. eastsidekate wrote:

    Amazing post, Sady.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink
  4. Em wrote:

    You’re Sady Fucking Doyle. Never let ‘em forget it.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink
  5. A.M.D. wrote:

    I am new to Tiger Beatdown. Your blog was recommended to me after I dared to whisper to someone that the Julian Assange case was a trigger for the memories of my own sexual assault. So to have someone with some influence validate my feelings about this was meaningful. Sady, you are exactly right when you write: “They only do it if you’re good.” You are good. Don’t forget it and don’t let the bastards drag you down.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink
  6. Thank you for continuing to challenge me and making me laugh at the same time.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink
  7. MKP wrote:

    Thank you so so much for this post, for pulling together all these examples to show how clear and emphatic and REAL these threats and corresponding fear are.

    But this isn’t about legitimate anger. This is about something that happens over and over, no matter who you are, if too many people hear you speak. This isn’t about legitimate anger, and it never is. This is about abuse. This is about sexual harassment. This is about hurting women because they’re women, over and over, until they go away.

    I work with someone I can’t get legitimately angry at, because of his position and my position, and sometimes I forget why I’m not losing my shit at him – it’s not because I’m not legitimately angry, or because I just prefer to be politely, quietly annoyed. It’s because I’m afraid of what my consequences would be if I really lost it, because no matter what they’d be “my” consequences.

    Thank you thank you thank you for everything you do here.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink
  8. Anomic Entropy wrote:

    Thanks. I wish I could do something to actually contribute to your sense of peace and safety. Since I can’t, I’ll just continue expressing appreciation for all that you’re doing.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink
  9. LadyD wrote:

    Hi Sady.

    First things first: I’m so very thankful you’re sticking around.

    I am not a journalist, so I don’t know how I’d figure this out BUT I’d like to throw out this question for you or your intrepid readers. You know the TED Women Conference? Well, they’re starting to put up videos from that conference and man, are the comments for those videos getting *depressing.* Does anyone know if TED is experiencing a taste of what feminist bloggers deal with because they are hosting videos that are by women and about women’s issues? Is there anyone at TED who could comment?

    I know, I know, *don’t* read the comments. And yet, I never learn.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Permalink
  10. Marley wrote:

    I’m just going to quote EM up there:

    “You’re Sady Fucking Doyle. Never let ‘em forget it.”

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Permalink
  11. fannie wrote:

    I’m thankful for your blogging efforts and appreciative of what you have to endure.

    Personally, when I started blogging, I mostly wrote about LGBT stuff. I didn’t start getting rape threats until I started talking about feminism and rape culture.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink
  12. KittyWrangler wrote:

    Thanks for keeping on with Tiger Beatdown!! I seldom comment here, but I’ve really enjoyed this blog for a while now. Do what is right for you regarding how much of yourself you put out there in the future, but please know that the personal info you’ve volunteered in the past isn’t just bully fodder. It’s made such a difference to me to read something from a *real person* with real person issues and real person humor. As “A Confederacy of Dunces” quotes, “When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.”-Jonathan Swift

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink
  13. Quetzkotl wrote:

    You definitely reached me. Thank you for what you do.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink
  14. a.b. wrote:

    @Sady- Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

    @LadyD- I wrote a post about one of those talks, and made sure to write in all caps, DON’T READ THE COMMENTS. I feel like the comments wouldn’t have been as bad if the women hadn’t been put into a separate conference.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink
  15. Kevin wrote:

    It’s sad that we call certain periods of Earth’s history the dark ages while in reality there hasn’t been much improvement at all since people who put forward the inconvenient truth are still silenced by any means necessary.

    P.S. if you need to link to a page that does not dispute facts about the Kathy Sierra incident, then there is this one: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Kathy_Sierra_incident

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink
  16. Podkayne wrote:

    I love this blog. Seriously I do. I don’t know how to make this message of love and support sound less generic, but I really wanted to see more comments expressing their approval and affection.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink
  17. Andrea wrote:

    My admiration for you becomes stronger every day. Thank you.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink
  18. It’s creepy to read this after reading Paulette Cooper’s account of her harassment by the Church of Scientology after she published a book criticizing them. I can only imagine how much easier it is to do this sort of thing in the internet age.

    I’m glad you’re not shutting Tiger Beatdown down. It’s one of my regular stops and I would miss it. I would totally understand it if it vanished tomorrow, though. Thanks for fighting the good fight.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink
  19. Anne wrote:

    You are amazing, Sady. Thank you for your work and for your sacrifices – you are an inspiration to me :)

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink
  20. Aine wrote:

    What Andrea said.
    Thank you.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink
  21. Grace wrote:

    We are right, and we are going to win.

    Keep posting Sady, you are an inspiration. And you are damn good at what you do.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink
  22. FarmerStina wrote:

    I’m delurking just to say thank you for everything you do. Also, you are the best!

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink
  23. Jill Noelle wrote:

    A few Christmases ago a friend of mine laughingly suggested she was going to build me my own personal soapbox as a present- to carry around with me to parties and social events thus making my continual espousing about egalitarianism and what you call Ladybusiness that much easier.
    What I gleaned from the ensuing conversation between my circle of friends after this suggestion was thrown out was that: like Atticus Finch, I was expected to do a job that no one wanted me to do but kept electing me to do it anyway. They all wanted me to continue with my humorous and sometimes strident bully pulpit as long as I was willing to take the heat for making their at times complacent liberalsm feel not quite so comfortable.
    Strange to say, it warmed my heart. And continues to do so. Enough to keep me going in the face of all the trolls who have belittled and dismissed my arguments over the (I think) simplistic message that “Hey shouldn’t we all be equal, and not just under law?”
    I also look to places such as your blog to push my occasional complacency. And I lend you space on my well-worn soapbox if ever you need it. It can get lonely up here sometimes; as you well know.
    Again I thank you for your courage.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink
  24. jt wrote:

    Just another “don’t let the arseholes grind you down!” comment. A new TBD post on my GReader feed always lifts my heart. But that’s me being selfish – as Christianne said above, if you need to take TBD offline for your own safety and well-being, I’ll understand.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Permalink
  25. Pavlov's Cat wrote:

    Sady, I find you inspirational and I thank you for that. And I think this is the first time I’ve actually commented here, for which I feel thoroughly ashamed. My thanks to you are very belated.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink
  26. Runaway wrote:

    I’m glad that you’re not shutting Tiger Beatdown (though, as a few people have said, I would understand why if you ever did). Your posts frequently inform and challenge me, and have helped me to speak up about things in my own life. I admire your bravery and your eloquence. Thank you.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink
  27. Jacob Martin wrote:

    I once got into a fight at a Q&A with Germaine Greer, one of my country’s greatest feminists – over the question “What would you say to a man who wants to repair the sad and sorry state of his gender, if all we have to look to is Fight Club?” – sadly what I was trying to ask her was “Why isn’t there a book as deep as The Female Eunuch to explain how messed up guys are in a way guys can understand” – she called me a “BOY!” and a “conscientious eccentric who is up to mischief and wasting valuable question time”.

    For many a month after being gutted by one of my heroes who turned out to have feet of ageist, anti-male clay that probably could have used more time in the kiln to reinforce them with some better contemplation – I feared feminists because I didn’t feel they understood me, or whether I’d missed the point of the whole feminist thing.

    It’s not like I’d ever been in a relationship with a woman, the only women I’d ever really known were my mother and my brother’s girlfriends and my brother’s friend’s girfriends.

    But having read your blog posts over the past few days, I don’t think you would have treated me the same way Germaine did. That’s why I kept reading.

    One of my current art teachers was Julie Rrap, a famous feminist artist who gave me a good mark for an art photograph not of stereotypical “post-feminist cumshots” but of something else entirely.

    It was a photograph of female posable Japanese anime figures that represented female leads and characters from anime and manga, sitting in a circle and communicating ideas – but as a silent image it was not only meant to represent the unheard voices of Japanese women in anime, but the “secret women’s businees” of female conversation in general, what man is not meant to hear or simply refuses to.

    In short I created a post-modern feminist artwork rather than a post-feminist artwork, because I applied feminist theory towards the liberation of women who by the definition of current Japanese law (censorship much?) and the rules of the reality that holds our universe together, do not exist.

    You were there for me, in a time I felt confused about what could really be done about understanding what this lady-talk was all about, and what it meant to men who needed to know what it was and how to deal with it positively.

    I hope this helps inspire you to continue.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
  28. Flewellyn wrote:

    Sady, you are amazing. Really.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
  29. Justin wrote:

    Queens represents! Don’t be scared, KFTC! This blog is awesome, it really is reaching a lot of people. If you ever need anything just reach out to us.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  30. Kseudonym wrote:

    Thank you for not deleting Tiger Beatdown. You are an inspiration.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink
  31. dave glasser wrote:

    I just really, really, really like you blogging. Keep up the good fight, as long as you feel that you can.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink
  32. Leslie wrote:

    I’m sorry Sady! I read your blog before but after the #mooreandme thing, Tigerbeatdown became my new favorite blog! Sorry! I may have even recommended it to some people. Oops. I hope I can offset my contribution to the increase in your readership by donating to some more assault/rape prevention and counselling orgs!

    (really though I’d be sadface if you stopped writing.)

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink
  33. kb wrote:

    Delurking to echo the comments about loving the site.

    Is there any way you could farm out the TBD emails to a pre-screened group? So that you weren’t dealing with all the spam and angry mail by yourself?

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink
  34. lesleymac wrote:

    *high-five*, Sady!

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink
  35. Jenny wrote:

    bad news, mate:
    http://douglaslain.net/?p=322#comment-393

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink
  36. catpain mcface wrote:

    you are such an inspiration. i don’t know how you do it, but i’m glad you do.

    it would be so totally understandable if you deleted this blog, but i’m really glad you haven’t. it and you are one of the few things that keep me going, keep me questioning and challenging and, well, trying to end patriarchy. so, what i’m trying to say is THANK YOU. a lot.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink
  37. Doxy wrote:

    My own blogging has flagged because I have two stalkers. They visit my blog multiple times a day, even when I haven’t posted in weeks. One of them sends me profane comments on ancient posts. The other reportedly obsesses about me on his own blog. (I refuse to visit it, even with a proxy.) They totally creep me out, and they have gone a long way towards silencing me. And they are NOTHING like the shit you deal with.

    Then I read this blog, and your impassioned assertion of your intent to keep posting, and I feel both ashamed and inspired.

    Thanks, Sady. Truly. I don’t know when I’ll post again–but, when I do, it will be because you gave me the courage to do it.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink
  38. Randall wrote:

    I like blogging too. And I really like when you do it. Which is an entirely other way to know you’re good.

    Glad you’re sticking around. I think anyone who keeps a very personal, but very public space like this constantly struggles with the thought of tossing it all. When you add in threats, or someone getting at personal things you don’t want public… oi. I’m sorry. But I am glad you still like it so well, and that this space was still here last time I went to clean up my RSS.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink
  39. Sara wrote:

    I am pretty glad you didn’t give up blogging either. I am sad about the tumblr account, because I think it did humanize you more, let the audience see another side of you.

    In terms of blogging, there are plenty of women that are popular and, despite threats and crazy commenters, get on with it and become very successful. I think support networks help, like BlogHer and other conferences. It’s frightening, to be sure, but I think you’re right about people trying to get at you when you’re good. It’s how girls bully other girls, right? Target the confident one. I think men do the same to women. Your piece of political activism worked, and it was frightening, so these guys lashed out. They’re ineffective at doing anything else.

    There has to be a solution to this carnival of trolls going around and threatening women so often. There should be a way where we could turn the tables and silence them instead.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink
  40. Natalie wrote:

    Just another comment voicing support. You rock, Sady, and I’m sending good vibes of strength and courage your way.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Permalink
  41. Jericka wrote:

    You have achieved celebrity! You have been noticed and become acquainted with the problem of fame! Maybe you should try to acquire the perks as well? Go get yourself a book deal! I suspect that many would buy it. I would!

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink
  42. Wednesday wrote:

    ILU,Sady,andthankyousomuchforyourcourage.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink
  43. Kat C. wrote:

    I love this blog – for the feminism and for the “FACE TO YOUR FAAAACE” bits that keep me laughing to myself all day long. (I hope you remember that’s from a recent post where you talk about your dog – oh my god I cracked up so hard.) I don’t read many blogs but I keep coming back to this one.

    So thanks for keeping up the fight and keeping up the blog. As long as you’re writin’, I’m readin’.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Permalink
  44. rowmyboat wrote:

    SADY FUCKING DOYLE I HEART YOU

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Permalink
  45. Revena wrote:

    Just wanted to comment because even though it doesn’t help much to know how many people respect you and think your posts are awesome and righteous when you’re the target of harassment, sometimes it helps a little.

    You’re amazing, and you do damn good work.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Permalink
  46. Aurora wrote:

    thank you Sady! You ROCK!

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Permalink
  47. Natalie wrote:

    Thank you Sady. Thank you for being a blogger and role model.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Permalink
  48. Thefremen wrote:

    Thank You for continuing to do what you do!

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Permalink
  49. NoraReed wrote:

    You’re my hero.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink
  50. Lucie wrote:

    Again: You’re Sady Fucking Doyle. Never let ‘em forget it.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink
  51. Torvaun wrote:

    I have not always agreed with you and your stances. But I wish no harm to come to you or yours, because that is not the civilized way to disagree with someone. I sincerely hope you can keep writing, and I wish you didn’t have to weigh your desire to write against a desire to not be harmed.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink
  52. Love and solidarity to you Sady.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Permalink
  53. jon wrote:

    Great post, and just to echo others’ comments: you’re an inspiration.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Permalink
  54. Dawn. wrote:

    Fuck yeah Sady Doyle!

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Permalink
  55. Beth wrote:

    Someone asked in passing on another blog, “why would people ever leave comments? Why don’t they have their own blog?”

    And I realized that, for me, the answer is that I can walk away from comments. I’m so terrified of being wrong anyway that adding on top of it the idea of maybe being wrong forever, or maybe having people ignore that I’m right, or maybe having people decide that because I’m right they are going to troll me, I just can’t face it. Not personally.

    So I love you for being willing to be out there. For not suffering fools, and being assertive, and still wanting to be accountable. For saying things I wish I wasn’t too scared to put out there.

    I much prefer real life, where I can troll people by just talking at great length in a monotonous, uninterrupted, unemotional Inside The Actor’s Studio-esque voice with excessive citations until they wish they never said they thought feminism was over.

    Thank you for hanging in there. The most radical thing I think a woman can do is live her life unapologetically, loudly and publicly. Some people seem to hate that, but like you said, it’s how you know you’re good.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Permalink
  56. Copcher wrote:

    Apparently there’s nothing more scary than when the people you’re trying to oppress disagree with you and are right.

    I’m really happy you didn’t delete it. And I’m really really happy that one of the reasons you didn’t delete it is that you like blogging. Because if you’re going to take a bunch of shit, it might as well be for something you otherwise enjoy.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Permalink
  57. cheshire wrote:

    Thankyou.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Permalink
  58. Y.P.U. wrote:

    This made me burst into tears! You are so beautiful!!!!!!!

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Permalink
  59. Michelle wrote:

    You are dangerous, Sady, in the best way possible.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Permalink
  60. beth wrote:

    i’ve been here (quietly) since the beginning, almost the very beginning. i will read you until you stop publishing. if you keep that fire of writing inside yourself somewhere, you can be flexible about what form it takes in this strange, painful, evolving world. you will make it work for you. i’m sure this blog is not the end.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Permalink
  61. Meg Thornton wrote:

    Sady, just to let you know I appreciate what you’re doing here on Tiger Beatdown. It’s hard to keep writing and keep blogging when the attacks against you are so vicious and so very personal, and I don’t think anyone would blame you for taking time out to remember what calm looks like and feels like. It’s fortunate that you have other co-bloggers here on TBD who can help with the shock. If you need any additional moderators (say, for that tricky period where most of the US and the European nations are asleep) I’m always willing to help out.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Permalink
  62. Andrea wrote:

    I wish as women, we never had to deal as a whole with such horrible, evil things. There are certain things that are never funny, no matter the intent. I am proud, as a fellow woman, that you are continuing to blog despite the comments.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Permalink
  63. Ronijn wrote:

    Very powerful and important Sady. I basically tried to explain this to a guy in a university course about video gaming and how harassment in online video games is not ‘just’ name calling and women (and other oppressed groups) who just do not have thick skins. It is people’s *lives* that can be put at stake with stalkers, and people figuring out where you live and take the rape ‘jokes’ to a very real and violent conclusion. Women who are subjected to this are *afraid*, and psychologically *tortured* by this and this uber privileged dumbass just could not get it.

    I applaud you for saying what needs to be said about the internet becoming the place where you can say whatever the fuck you want and that isn’t necessarily good, because all the shit that (publically at least) is un-PC happens here and it has real consequences.

    I can’t imagine how hard this stuff has been for you. And I’m glad you’re keeping on… but I hope you are ok too. Because even if you get to a point where you’ve had enough and finally close up shop, you did something important and I appreciate it.

    Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Permalink
  64. Bissonet wrote:

    I love reading this blog. It gives me hope – knowing that that you’re out there and willing to say shit that needs to be said. Thank you.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:21 am | Permalink
  65. xtinApdx wrote:

    Throwing my heartfelt thanks onto the big pile here that you deserve. Your courage has made me braver, mouthier. I hope you stick around-xo

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:28 am | Permalink
  66. k wrote:

    Fuck. Yeah.

    You do what you think you need to do, but so long as what you think you need to do involves blogging, I will be reading long, sharing on Google Reader and retweeting links. Promise.

    Thanks for being awesome in the face of aggro douchebaggery.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:29 am | Permalink
  67. firefly wrote:

    Keep at it, Sady! No matter what, because you have to let the world see this. Haters are gonna hate, but they will NEVER break you. You need to reach out to people like this, because of the awareness you raise. I could never thank you enough for writing on this blog. Because, for once, I could feel like someone cares about my views and understands how hard, how FRIGHTENING it can be to be be born a WOMAN and LIVE in this world.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:45 am | Permalink
  68. Alison wrote:

    This is overwhelming and amazing and beautiful. You really are an inspiration – and I mean that vehemently.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:59 am | Permalink
  69. I know exactly what you mean about these anonymous cowards that post their bullshit over the internet and make it into some twisted, racist hobby. I’ve been attacked by trolls not so much on my blog, but by virtue of my participating making You Tube videos leaving comments that “someone should knife that nigger,” as if their ignorance fazes me one iota. One genius went to the trouble of creating a very graphic attack video made towards me featuring a posterized version of face with a hand and gun pointed at my head which preceded to show my ‘committing suicide’ by blowing my brains out. It was incredible to watch someone who doesn’t know me go to such a point where he (had to be a guy)felt some kind of release in creating a video portraying my self-destruction. I simply filed complaints until it was removed, but the asshole, who should have been banned, still uses my brain-splattered image of that video on his channel page. It’s creepy but fuck him and all the other nameless, psychopathically -deranged motherfuckers. The only way to deal with these conscienceless assholes is not to have a conscience either (and seriously, after what this world has tried to do to me, I don’t have much of a conscience left, anyway) or do what you can to keep standing, because you know you’re at “the point” when static gets loud. Even though it can get a bit weird, keep your head straight and you’ll be all right. It’s not like you don’t have any support.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 1:10 am | Permalink
  70. If you have to delete TBD at some point for your own well being, then, please, do that. You’ve gotta take care of yourself first of all; that’s more important than keeping all us folk on the internets thought-provoked and entertained.

    But: I’m really glad that that day hasn’t come yet. This blog is one of the few I *always* read, often share with friends, and foist on unsuspecting acquaintances (and also my mom). It’s brought me a lot of joy and new ways of thinking about stuff I thought I knew everything about. So. Yes. Thank you. Thank you very much for doing all this hard work, and doing through an onslaught of creepy haters.

    p.s. This is not hwlpful at all, since I can’t remember for the life of me where I saw it, but: Maybe a year or two ago, I was reading about another feminist blogger who was having Creepy Threating Dude Problems, in a piece about how that always fucking happens to awesome feminist bloggers (and also to pretty-much-apolitical ladies who are good at things on the internet, of course), and the author talked some about how she’d started comparing notes with other feminist bloggers, and by swapping technical expertise and info on said Recurring Creepy Dudes, they’d gotten a lot better at tracking who was who, banning them, and/or stowing away identifying info. I don’t know how much help your getting dealing with this shit, but there’s about to be more out there if you need it. Lots of people care about you and your work, and having an Elite feminist Blogger Troll Elimination Squad would certainly be a mutually beneficial situation.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 1:27 am | Permalink
  71. maddi wrote:

    Thank you.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 1:48 am | Permalink
  72. DC wrote:

    See, were it not for th’Beatdown I would be enormously less informed about the scary shitstorms that descend on feminist bloggers’ heads. It’s this very post, about why you want to walk away from all this, that is why you shouldn’t.

    Stay up, stay writing, stay safe, stay in the game. For as long as you like. Because it is important and provocative and informative and well fucking entertaining to read what the TBD crew has to say, and we would hate to see you stop saying it.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:16 am | Permalink
  73. SSH wrote:

    As a guilty party myself, 99% of internet “humour” comprises being nasty about someone. People just think they’re being smart and funny when they’re just being nasty. But then, there’s the 1% who really are pieces of work, and when they’re people who been googling “rape” in order to find your site, you’re absolutely sane to be concerned. I hope you win, in whatever way that means to you in the end.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:32 am | Permalink
  74. Laura wrote:

    As long as you’ll be writing, I’ll be reading.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 3:03 am | Permalink
  75. TeriSaw wrote:

    You Are Amazing.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:11 am | Permalink
  76. Unmana wrote:

    I agree with A.B.- Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:33 am | Permalink
  77. Dell wrote:

    Sady, THANK YOU.

    I just went through an abusive experience over the past week. I stood my ground with a resilience that even took me by surprise, and I just realized why: I’d spent the entire 2 weeks prior reading your #MooreAndMe and Tumblr posts. I had a recent model to work from. Being able to say “This is ABUSE and it is not okay” really was hard, but I was able to do it.

    This ties back to my own experience (and that of so many others, for the reasons you explained) with a poignancy I haven’t been able to find before. Not surprising: I’m a tech woman who is good with people, behaves with integrity, and is shrewd about my career. It appalls me how much I have been abused as a result of these traits since starting my career, especially since I saw none of it while I was in (similarly gender-imbalanced) school – but of course, in that environment, power was much less of a factor.

    So, thank you again. I consider you a peer-heroine, the best kind. I draw strength from women like you in the hopes that I can take on a few of these fights on my own. You are absolutely making a difference, as are the amazing women you mentioned in your post.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:34 am | Permalink
  78. Hannah wrote:

    You know, it’s just occurred to me that not only have you brightened my days, made me laugh, made me think, and inspired me to start my own blog, Tiger Beatdown also enabled me to Educate my manpanion about the feminism – without which we probably wouldn’t have lasted so long.

    So hey, add that to your list of accomplishments: saving true love from several thousand miles away!

    Good luck. And well done. And please put yourself first: you don’t owe us anything and your safety and happiness has to be paramount.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:49 am | Permalink
  79. Bananhie wrote:

    While I usually don’t comment, I love your blog and am thankful that you are one of the vocal and fearless women writers out there.

    A few of your posts about abuse & equality actually played a small part in inspiring me to leave an abusive relationship & take more initiative.

    While it may not be world changing, your blog may help others such as myself in the future.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 5:54 am | Permalink
  80. Brad V wrote:

    Like so many of these other commenters, I’m happy that TBD is not closing at the moment. Sady, you and the other contributors have been such an influence on me personally in both theory and writing style. Thank you for your writing and your work.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 5:55 am | Permalink
  81. EmilyBites wrote:

    Like everyone else said, you’re Sady Fucking Doyle! I know people who can’t even spell feminism who know of your work.
    As you say in this post, the backlash against amazing feminist bloggers like you is proportionate to your influence. I’ve been reading here for a year and I’ve realised that amazing feminist bloggers/activists like you do actually have the power to create political and social change – you are doing it. You ARE a force to be reckoned with!

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 5:56 am | Permalink
  82. GIFTTOTHEGUTTER wrote:

    They only try to beat us when they’re afraid we’re winning. Thank you for everything you do, Sady.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 5:58 am | Permalink
  83. Susan wrote:

    Thank you, Sady, for not letting the bastards grind you down.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:02 am | Permalink
  84. canomia wrote:

    I’m a better and stronger person because of you. At my last school I was part of starting a process to end the sexist crap some of the teachers were doing. Now that school has two new wonderful female art teachers and the worst sexist who just wouldn’t change his ways is no longer at the school. Reading TBD was a big part in this. So thank you.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:03 am | Permalink
  85. canomia wrote:

    One more thing. I had a stalker once, he wasn’t violent or anything, just very desperate and creepy and found my real name through facebook and then found my address and phone number and that was why I quit facebook. People call me paranoid and silly but after reading this i know I made the right choice to keep my real identity and my internet identity separate. I’m thankfull for every post on this blog and hope you can keep going for a long long time. You are Sady Fucking Doyle! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEC5Gsr4koo&NR=1&feature=fvwp

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:16 am | Permalink
  86. Clay Shirky wrote:

    Thank you. For this and everything.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink
  87. Pete Jordan wrote:

    You’re a voice of sanity on the interwebs (and, in a very small way, I’m responsible for some of your traffic as I’ve linked to more of your posts on FB than anyone else’s recently).

    And yes, I’ve linked to this post too, thusly:

    “Why women stop writing online (and why Sady Doyle *isn’t* stopping).

    If you ever think about posting abusive shit on other people (yes, women are people. Deal with it): Don’t.

    If you’ve ever done this: Stop. Go away and deal with your own issues (and yes, you’ve got them if you indulge in this sort of crap); sorting yourself out is the only useful thing you can do, except maybe apologise, and *certainly* calling anyone else on similar whenever you see it (and yes, I’ve let things by, because it’s easier: that’s not an excuse for me or for you).”

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:51 am | Permalink
  88. M wrote:

    Sady, before I started reading your blog (and other feminist blogs, but specifically yours) I was unable to read or watch the news everyday without crying hysterically. I am a rape survivor and being faced with a culture that ignores me and repeatedly tells me that my experience is not important nearly drove me to the brink of suicide a couple of times. But you? You told me that I matter. And you’re the first person in my life to tell me that.

    So after I started reading your writing, I started being able to get angry instead of crying all the time. And that’s made all the difference. I owe you a lot and we’ve never met and probably never will, but I know I’m not the only one– your comment sections are full of comments just like this.

    I’m a professional internet moderator (no, really) and I’d be more than happy to donate my services to TBD if you wanted. You don’t have to deal with internet douches on your own.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 9:09 am | Permalink
  89. Pairodox wrote:

    Thank you for writing. Thank you for continuing to write. Thank you for writing this. I really appreciate it.

    It was probably a personal/audience related choice, but I have successfully remained unsuccessful my entire life, because I have always understood that any one with any perceived power earns more enemies than friends, related exponentially to the size of that power.

    Thank you for standing your ground. May enough good find you to help against the bad.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 9:41 am | Permalink
  90. wrysuitor wrote:

    I rarely comment anywhere but I wanted to say I am so pleased and impressed that you are not shutting down….because then what would my mom and sisters and I read in our ladycave on friday nights in order to get the conversation started? We would have to buy an actual book, probably, or else give up entirely on getting my mother off the topic of global corporate conspiracy for an evening. Also, because staying up sends a message, and it’s a strong one. If you ever do need to take it down, though, we would all understand, and it would be a topic for the evening all in itself. As stated above: you are Sady Fucking Doyle, damnit!

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink
  91. Babs G wrote:

    Sady, latecomer delurking. Keep on keepin’ on. And, as we say in Scotland, keep the heid. You make a difference.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink
  92. m wrote:

    I give links to this blog to anyone who has ever asked me about feminism. thank you

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink
  93. Emily wrote:

    I just wanted to say thank you, but- if you ever need to shut down TBD for your own safety, do it. Please. Everything about this blog is wonderful to me and I love it so much, but the very second you need to you delete it- do so.

    Thank you for TBD. Thank you for M&M. Thank you for being awesome.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink
  94. Dave Kielpinski wrote:

    Sady, thank you.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink
  95. Dr. Vanessa wrote:

    Thank you for continuing to blog. Very brave and inspiring.
    But please put yourself first and do what is needed for your safety and comfort. I will be donating more $$ soon with the hope that you can take whatever steps you deem necessary.

    Maybe there IS something readers & supporters can do to help the situation. Can we crowdsource some ideas to translate e-support to material safety support? I think someone suggested farming-out some of the comment moderating responsibilities — which you probably already do — but are there any other ideas… maybe further out of box?

    I Sady Fucking Doyle! And I am a huge fan of your conscience too.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink
  96. Dr. Vanessa wrote:

    That was supposed to be I HEART Sady Fucking Doyle!

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink
  97. I, too, am grateful for your writing. Thank you for persevering, even in the face of such violence.

    As a slight aside: We need more feminist men calling out violent douchebags like the men who are threatening you, and other folks.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink
  98. Rachel wrote:

    GodDAMN, woman!

    Have just sent money. Live long, write long, and keep yelling.

    XO

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Permalink
  99. Clownybee wrote:

    Dear Sady,

    There are many of us out there like me who might not necessarily comment or write, but who wholeheartedly support you. Keep writing, because they wouldn’t notice you if you weren’t doing your part to change things.

    Remember that it’s not because they scream louder that they are right.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink
  100. Oriniwen wrote:

    *positive enegery at you, Sady*

    You have to make the choices you have to make, and do what’s best for you. You’re worth that. I’ve always appreciated your writing here, and on Tumblr, and I’m sad to see you delete your other blog, because I think there’s some stuff on there of such a calibre that it’s just criminal to remove it from the existing body of literature. That’s what the trolls have done, they’ve made it so you have to throw out the baby and the bathwater, and we’re all poorer for it.

    Thank you for this space, for your Tumblr, your tweeting and most of all for your writing. I love your style, your sentances and phrases are like yummy little treats and I’d read you even if all you talked about what the colour of your shoes that day.

    You have talent and you have soul. You’ve done immeasureable good and even if you close up shop and live a quiet, un0internetted life from now on, you’ve made a difference. You’ve made a difference to *me*.

    (I wish there was a way to send these compliments without th taint of ‘you’re just being nice to me now so you can be even more targeted with your meanness later’. I know the feeling. But I’ll send the positive energy and well wishes and general feelings of gratitude anyway.)

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink
  101. Faith wrote:

    I’ve been lurking here for about a month or two now, and I want you to know that you are awesome and what you do is amazing, because it isn’t easy.

    I was at work the other day when a male co worker said that some sexy reporter “was asking to get raped” by some famous sports star “because of the way she was dressed.” I’m usually outspoken anyway, but knowing there are other people out there with my opinions, and who have helped educate these thoughts-specifically, this blog of yours-came to mind and I said to him, “What, is he some sort of animal who can’t control himself? Who the hell wakes up in the morning and puts on clothes with the goal of getting sexually assaulted that day? Yes, she’s dressing unprofessionally for a reporter, but that’s nothing compared to attacking someone.”

    He then went on to say that “he didn’t mean to sound sexist, but look at her.”

    I told him he sounded sexist anyway. Lacking logic, much?

    In other words, remembering a post of yours about rape culture inspired someone to speak up, even in a setting like the one I described. And what more can you ask for as a writer, really?

    PS: Totally quoted another article of yours in my FB quotes section:

    “What if no one is coming to save you? Sometimes, nobody is coming. And who didn’t come to save you, and when? What happened, on the day that you were not saved? That was the day that you saved yourself.”-Sady Doyle

    …which is right underneath a Harry Potter quote, so right then and there you know you kick ass :D

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink
  102. Comrade Svilova wrote:

    De-lurking to add: thanks and thanks for #MooreandMe. I didn’t think that it was possible to make a difference in that media narrative, but you did it through TBD. Inspiring!

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink
  103. What Michelle said – “You are dangerous, Sady, in the best way possible.”

    EXACTLY. That’s why we love you so. And if you need me to stand outside your front door with a wicked ninja sword to keep you safe, just let me know. I will do it.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Permalink
  104. InfamousQBert wrote:

    sady, you inspire me. i’m in the earliest baby stages of internet lady-business, but i have a ridiculous hope to get bigger at somepoint. thank you for writing this and reminding us all why we shouldn’t have to shy away from popularity.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink
  105. Syd wrote:

    I loved this post.

    I stopped blogging on a gaming site for similar reasons and I never really came to terms with my anger at being silenced until I read this post. You got a lot more publicity and hate mail than I did, but any was too much for me. I love reading this blog and I am grateful that you continue to fight for your right to speak.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink
  106. Christin wrote:

    You inspire me to do better and follow your example. Thank you for your work, and for sharing it with all of us.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink
  107. Nikki wrote:

    Thank you.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink
  108. Elise wrote:

    Sady, I hope you don’t mind, but I hope to be half as awesome as you when I “grow up” (aka leave university for the work world – whenever that is). Seriously. You rock. And if being awesome the way you are makes jerks attack you, and you have to delete this blog because they’re wrecking your life, then that’s fine. It’s life, and it doesn’t make you any less radically awesome.

    So the record stands: Sady: Infinity, Trolls: [BONERS].

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink
  109. raddad wrote:

    SFD! SFD!
    Echos – The only blog I always read. you are someone that I really admire you and regularly look to for god thinking.
    I have had access to male privilege my whole life and would be happy to help with the moderating. What happened to the moderator dog?

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink
  110. SKM wrote:

    Thank you so much for your wit, your courage, and your work. Stay safe and be well.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink
  111. skirt wrote:

    I’ve been reading here since you were a wee tiger beatdown, before the blog makeover (god, that was probably ages ago, huh?). And I’ve never commented. But I love TBD, and you, and I think yours is an awesome, hilarious voice that cuts through shit like none other. Thank you, Sady. It’s true – they only come after you like that when you’re good, when there aren’t any points left to argue. Keep going.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink
  112. Pencils wrote:

    You *are* good, Sady. The Internet would be a lesser place if you were forced to stop writing. Although I do, totally, understand if you change your mind and delete the blog. No one should get harassed, and frightened, and threatened for writing a blog…a blog that gets it right!

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink
  113. PSue wrote:

    Thank you, Sady Fucking Doyle.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink
  114. alynn wrote:

    SFD FTW

    You’re right…you’re good. And they can’t stand it. It’s hard out for there for women who speak the truth.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink
  115. Kal wrote:

    Sady – I don’t agree with you about everything, but thanks, very much, for continuing to write.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink
  116. Christina wrote:

    <3 Thank you, Sady.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink
  117. gravyrug wrote:

    Well said, as usual. And much appreciated, also as usual. I haven’t been an everyday reader, mostly coming via links from Shakesville, but every time I read your stuff, I learn, I think, and I get better at being a person. Thank you.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink
  118. Alix wrote:

    As long as you write, I’ll be reading. You’re tremendous. Bullies, on the other hand, suck.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink
  119. Karl T. wrote:

    Sady, your posts here have given me courage to stand up, to tell fellow men that sexist and harrassing behaviour is not ‘cool,’ is not ‘edgy,’ and is not worthy of them.

    The passion and clarity of your writing is a wonderful and terrifying thing — because it shows us how far we have yet to go, but also provides us such vivid and immediate examples of what to call out, how to fight, how to win. Any why the struggle is so very important.

    Thank you for all that you do, and for being an incredible light in the encroaching darkness.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink
  120. Kiri wrote:

    Hey, Sady. Terrific post. I appreciate your thoughtfulness as always, and I apologize for being kind of a shit about my disagreements.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink
  121. Gabrielle wrote:

    Been following your blog for quite some time, I don’t think I have ever commented.

    Your work here is important, and very appreciated! Stay safe.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink
  122. facelessanon062 wrote:

    You’re not merely good, you’re amazing. Thank you.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
  123. Julia wrote:

    keep it up, Sady.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink
  124. Tyler Healey wrote:

    Sady, you kick ASS! You make me want to name my first daughter Sady.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink
  125. Traitorfish wrote:

    What’s that thing Gandhi said? “First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win”? I’d say he was on more or less the same page as you, Sady.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink
  126. snobographer wrote:

    They do put a lot of work into their oppression, don’t they? Tireless. Seriously I swear they have bots.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Permalink
  127. Matt wrote:

    You are fantastic. This is such an important topic to write about… For quite sometime I felt pretty alone and embarrassed for receiving death/rape threats for posting feminist content online. This post will be so helpful for people to read for many reasons, but (for me) mainly due to the message that other feminists who blog go through this and can persist. Strength in solidarity, I say! Kudos.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Permalink
  128. J. wrote:

    Just wanted to add another voice to the chorus, letting you know that I am standing with you on this, and to thank you once again for your bravery & commitment. Please, do whatever you need to do to keep yourself safe & feeling secure and sane. If you have to delete your other blog, or certain posts here, I believe all your readers understand.

    Your last paragraph here encapsulates the whole thing perfectly. You ARE a threat, because you ARE right, & you ARE going to win.

    I appreciate so much your loud, clear, courageous voice here at TBD & I hope so much you will continue to blog, because there would be such a sad, gaping hole left on the internet without you. I am always directing friends to this blog, but never more so than in the last month. & I can’t tell you how your writing and your recent actions have inspired me to speak up to people I normally wouldn’t confront over the last few weeks, about rape culture and feminism in general. Thinking of what you’ve been doing is always empowering, & thanks for always encouraging your fellow feminists to ‘aim to misbehave’ ;)

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Permalink
  129. Enochuous wrote:

    Thank you, Sady. Your work is so, so important.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Permalink
  130. ari wrote:

    you (through the prism of your writing) are a m a z i n g. absolutely wonderful. i so appreciate your words. your thoughtfulness, your heart, your courage, your brilliance, your human’ness, your ferociousness, your softness, your silliness….i read all of these pieces of you in your writing. and i am inspired. im blessing you – not in a ‘may you be saved’ way – but in ‘i wish you happiness’ way.
    basically, AMEN.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Permalink
  131. ari wrote:

    say it like it is sister.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Permalink
  132. ari wrote:

    omg – another thought – how about an ‘i heart sadie tshirt. bc its funny. and true. :)

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink
  133. Other Becky wrote:

    I love your writing, Sady, but do whatever you have to to stay safe.

    Echoing offers to help wade through the crap — I’m not in M’s league, but I’ve done a bit of forum moderating in my time, and I’d be glad to help separate the wheat from the chaff.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Permalink
  134. checarina wrote:

    Goddamn this is powerful.

    Friday, January 7, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Permalink
  135. Dede Pierry wrote:

    Delurking to ditto what kittywrangler & Anne said, as well as a second for what Laura #74 said. Do what is right for you, but if you go, you will be missed! I guess, in the era of ‘zines, things weren’t so widely accessible, and you didn’t have such instant access to easily vomited trollspeech. But then again, your words & experience didn’t get out to as many people who could be affected in a positive way.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 12:19 am | Permalink
  136. MC wrote:

    Thank you, Sady.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 1:05 am | Permalink
  137. Lhasaluck wrote:

    Here from Shakesville and just wanted to say how much I appreciate your courage and determination. Thanks

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 1:32 am | Permalink
  138. El Duderino wrote:

    Sady, you are amazing, and it shines through in your blog. I can indirectly relate to your story because someone dear to me was a victim of sexual assault several years ago, and I’ve tried to be there for her as she attempts to put it behind her. Of course it is very hard for a man to really understand what this must be like.

    Keep up the good fight <3

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 2:52 am | Permalink
  139. salienne wrote:

    This post is eloquent, and terrifying, and amazing, and thank you so much for all you’ve done and for continuing to have the strength to keep doing it.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 2:54 am | Permalink
  140. wemblee wrote:

    Fuck the haters, girl. You’re awesome.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 3:09 am | Permalink
  141. Eneya wrote:

    Is there a moment when they stop, when they see their actions do not succeed?
    I hope there is and you will soon reach it.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 5:41 am | Permalink
  142. Whirlwitch wrote:

    Keep on keeping on. You rock!

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 5:51 am | Permalink
  143. Gayle wrote:

    This kind of Internet campain against bloggers brings out the monsters. A couple of women bloggers were hit by Anon and 4 chan, hunted down and threatened in real life because they had the temerity to write against pron. One hasn’t blogged since and the other barely blogs at all anymore. I hate to see the bast&rds win.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 7:38 am | Permalink
  144. Maria wrote:

    I don’t have anything original or particularly heart-warming to say, I just want to add my voice to all the other people shouting ‘WE FUCKING LOVE YOU SADY FUCKING DOYLE’ from the top of our lungs, trying to scream our support louder than any misogynist troll ever could.

    This is my favourite blog. You helped me overcome my own particular misogynist prejudice that women weren’t as funny as men (yeah, I’m lame) by being hilarious AND linking to other hilarious women. I’ve rediscovered capslock through you. I’ve realised I can’t sit down and smile every time a friend of mine disparages feminism, out of fear they’ll think I’m hysterical and dogmatic and boring. I speak more in public now. I’m not afraid to question people whose authority I would have submitted to before. I question my heroes more (like Amanda Palmer) and I don’t tolerate bullshit from them. I’m not afraid to have faith in you because you admit when you fuck up. That encourages me to do that too.

    I hope you keep going forever.

    Maria xx

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 8:29 am | Permalink
  145. Phledge wrote:

    Sady Fucking Doyle, do what is right for you, because you have already made such a huge difference in at least one person’s life. Thank you for being so good at what you do, and for being so inspirational as a result.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink
  146. Oh Sady, I wish you were never put in this position. I wish none of us were put in this position. Your mental, emotional, and physical health should never have to be weighed against doing what you love.

    I wish I had something profound to say, but I’ve got about two brain cells to rub together right now. (They’re both workin’ for you, though!) As so many others have said, you’re my favorite blog, and the one I check most frequently. Your arguments are brilliant, and even though I can’t articulate them nearly as well, they’ve helped me in my (admittedly unsuccessful) attempts to educate, er, everyone in my life.

    (Also? You have changed my relationship to all-caps forever. So. Awesome.)

    If you stopped blogging right this second, I would be sad, but I’d totally understand. Do whatever it is you need to do for your health and sanity, and have some fun, too. If I could send chocolate and cigarettes through the internet, they’d be there right now. Since I can’t reach through my screen, though, money will have to suffice.

    ( *offers virtual hugs, snacks, and beverages of your choice if you want them.* )

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink
  147. HonestB wrote:

    One thing I saw a blogger I read do once about someone who sent him threatening emails (this was creepy stuff about attacking his children, in this case) was post all the information he could collect about the person (IP, email) and offer a cash reward for the person’s identity. Once he had the guy’s identity, he sued him.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink
  148. Lissa wrote:

    thank you for helping me question. you are good at what you do, and i appreciate every word of it.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink
  149. aravind wrote:

    Sady Fucking Doyle for president.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink
  150. Kate Starling wrote:

    If I’m one-tenth as awesome as you when I grow up, I’ll consider my life a raging success.

    Thank you for all you do.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink
  151. Anna wrote:

    I admit it, I panicked when I started reading this entry. I just found this blog a few weeks ago (two? three?) and I already got so much from it. I´m so very very grateful you´re doing this. And if you ever do delete it, please please give a warning so there´s time to copy&save entries.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Permalink
  152. Rachel wrote:

    Another lurker popping up to say thank you so much for what you do on this blog. You consistently write about feminism with incredible wit and clarity, and I love reading your posts. Thank you for being SADY FUCKING DOYLE.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink
  153. Tenebral wrote:

    Thank you for posting this, and more power to you. I’ve followed your blog off and on again over the past few years, and your insight and courage has helped shape my opinions as a young feminist. You’re awesome, is what I’m saying; “good” is too mild a word. Best wishes for the new year.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink
  154. Caitiecat wrote:

    Being on the contributors’ list at Shakesville, I get to see the fringes of stuff Melissa McEwan receives.

    Sady, staying at it is (whether you like it or not) the act of a seriously brave woman. I’m damned glad you are, and continue to be, a blogger.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink
  155. Finisterre wrote:

    It’s the most ironic* and frustrating thing that the most heartfelt comments from your total fans have so much less impact than the casual, formulaic, but hateful bullying. And I totally understand it.

    But still, a thousand times over: You’re an inspiration. You’re the absolute bollocks, as we say in the UK about things that are the best.

    You’re Sady Fucking Doyle. And that makes me smile every time I type it.

    * Alanis irony, maybe, but who cares.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Permalink
  156. Autumn wrote:

    I don’t normally comment on Tiger Beatdown but I do read it pretty frequently, and I just wanted to say that I appreciate your writing. It often challenges me to think about things from a new perspective and I think a lot of us need that challenge.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Permalink
  157. hydropsyche wrote:

    Just another reader who should comment more often here to say:
    You’re awesome! I love what you write! But please take care of yourself and do what you need to do to be okay.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Permalink
  158. Xenu01 wrote:

    This was very painful to read but I think it should be required reading for The Internet.

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink
  159. AVS wrote:

    Thank you, Sady. You are a brilliant writer and an inspiration. Keep going, please, the world would be a lesser place without your writing.

    Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 12:40 am | Permalink
  160. Lindsay wrote:

    Thank you Sady. Your words have meant so much to me.

    Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink
  161. Rae wrote:

    I LOVE YOU SADY FUCKING DOYLE ♥♥♥

    Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink
  162. Sarah wrote:

    I just want to say that I love your blog and it makes me a better person and I think you are hilarious and so is Grey. So thanks for writing it, and it’s ok if you want to stop but I wanted you to know.

    Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Permalink
  163. Elisabeth wrote:

    You are a hero of mine, Sady.

    Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Permalink
  164. daily_duck wrote:

    You’re my hero. I can’t imagine how difficult this has become for you, but thank you for doing what you do.

    Monday, January 10, 2011 at 12:50 am | Permalink
  165. lil sis wrote:

    i love you sady, thankyou so very much for everything xxxxxxx

    Monday, January 10, 2011 at 6:23 am | Permalink
  166. dejla wrote:

    You win. Thank you for having the passion and the courage to not let the bastards silence you.

    Monday, January 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink
  167. Nomie wrote:

    Thank you thank you thank you, a thousand times, thank you.

    Monday, January 10, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Permalink
  168. Suzers wrote:

    I’m late to the game, but

    EM: You’re Sady Fucking Doyle. Never let ‘em forget it.

    Damn straight. You’re amazing, and I will never stop saying it.

    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Permalink
  169. misskate wrote:

    Seconding A.B. – Nolite te bastardes carborundorum! You’re free to do whatever you need for your safety, but, gawds, may the assholes never silence you.

    Don’t even let them think they’ve won — because they haven’t, and, in the end, they won’t. Those who want women to sit down, shut up, and fade to black may win battles through threats, coercion, and, egad, occasionally violence, but our world is fucking changing, and it’s going to keep changing. You’re pushing things forward with every keystroke. Please keep making people think, whether they want to or not. Please keep at it, and fuck those fucking shitstain cowards and their threats.

    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 1:17 am | Permalink
  170. Freddie wrote:

    You know one thing that I’ve learned about respecting people is that it has to include respecting the fact that they don’t care about your respect. The right for someone to say that they just don’t want to be cool with you is important, I think. And I know, very well, that you don’t want or need or care about any particular positive feelings from me at all.

    My dilemma has been the MooreAndMe campaign. Because I just felt that it was so necessary and just, and part of me has had this feeling that it is dishonest for me not to say so. But like I said, you don’t care, and I have to respect that.

    Now that I’ve found this post, though– if it weren’t for this blog, I don’t know how that whole thing would have gone down, and it not happening would have been such a shame and such a lost moment. And I know how it would be easy for me to be mansplainy about this, and I’m sorry; I’m not trying to say “you see, ladies, I’ve give you my blessing, which is essential.” Michael Moore and Olbermann and the media needed MooreAndMe, and so I’m really glad Tiger Beatdown exists.

    Uh, boners.

    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink
  171. Eve wrote:

    I was waiting at a bus stop yesterday and some teenager picked burrs out of the snow and spent 15 minutes throwing them at me while my back was turned. He thought it was funny, I guess. What pissed me off the most is that he wouldn’t have done it if I hadn’t been a girl. I wanted to sock him when I finally realized that it wasn’t the wind blowing things in my direction, but I used my words instead. The whole day yesterday I was annoyed that I hadn’t chastised the little cretin more than I did.

    Anyway, your post gives me hope.

    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Permalink
  172. mb wrote:

    <3
    Thank you for fighting.

    Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink
  173. Karen wrote:

    I’m so sorry that you have to deal with this shit. It’s so sad to think that your honesty is something that I find freeing to read, but that can be used against you to make you feel less free by people who want to hurt people whose ideas they disagree with.

    If you need to take anything down for your own personal safety, it’s ok with me even though I’m a dedicated reader (as if my opinion were something you were concerned about). Even though this post lists the terrible harassment these women were put through, we remember what they wrote and why it matters. Your words have been too important to me for me to forget them if you take the blog down. You’re such a brave woman, I would be far too sensitive to deal with even a little bit of the negativity you receive, but your courage is, as usual, extremely inspiring and strikes such a strong personal chord in terms of how we grow strong together as women, as feminists in a culture that would just be so much more pleasant (for cis white men)if we all just shut up and took what we were given. Thank you for that.

    Friday, January 14, 2011 at 2:54 am | Permalink
  174. Summer wrote:

    I never comment. I read often. Thank you for staying, as long as you can.

    Friday, January 14, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink
  175. Han wrote:

    Just wanted to agree with all the other voices here and give my support. Your work means so much to me; thank you for everything.

    Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink
  176. Sady wrote:

    @Freddie: Thanks, dude. You’re welcome here.

    Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink
  177. STRATO wrote:

    The internet owes you big time.

    Hope you stay in it. Thanks for the ride thus far!

    Monday, January 17, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink
  178. Verona wrote:

    Thanks Sady. <3

    Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Permalink
  179. Eva wrote:

    Just wanted to pipe up with my appreciation for you, Sady.

    Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Permalink
  180. Keller wrote:

    I’m glad you chose to keep writing. I really value the way this blog makes me think, even if I don’t always agree (but most of the time I do).

    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink
  181. Rachel wrote:

    I’m really glad you do the things you do, Sady Doyle. I had to quit Twitter after #mooreandme because it was way too triggering to even look at past messages so I can’t imagine what you’re going through and how hard it must have been to decide to keep up this blog. But I think it’s also important to remember to take care of yourself sometimes. Being brave is great but it’s more difficult to concentrate on activism if you’re (general you, not you specifically) constantly having mental breakdowns. Also because, like, it’s good for you :-P . <3

    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Permalink