#MooreandMe, Five Days and Running: Run It All The Way Down (A Timeline of Relevant Quotes)

1. CRIME

Assange has been charged with something called “sex by surprise,” which reportedly carries a $715 fine. According to Assange’s London attorney, Mark Stephens, prosecutors have yet to explain the charges or meet with the WikiLeaks chief to discuss them, which he’s agreed to do. “Whatever ‘sex by surprise’ is, it’s only an offense in Sweden—not in the U.K. or the U.S. or even Ibiza,” Stephens fumed.

Mark Stephens, via Slate, 12/3/2010. None of the above statements are true. They have all been proven wrong. A retraction of these false statements has not been publicly made by Mark Stephens.

KeithOlbermann RT @BiancaJagger#Assange “rape” accuser has #CIA ties’ [LINK REDACTED FOR NAMING AND THEREBY ENDANGERING ACCUSERS.]

Michael Moore, on his Twitter, 2:22 p.m., 12/5/2010. The above statement is not true. It cannot be proven. It was taken from the website of MarkCrispinMiller.com, using information “broken” by a Holocaust denier who is associated with WikiLeaks. It leaks the names of both Assange accusers, thus endangering them immensely. A retraction has yet to be made by Michael Moore or Keith Olbermann.

And the issue here is that if he were any other just normal Brit, with this so-called ‘crime’ that he’s been accused of — which I understand isn’t, wouldn’t actually be a crime if it was committed in Britain, a condom broke I believe is the ‘evidence.’

Michael Moore, while literally laughing out loud, BBC, 12/14/2010. None of the above statements are true. They have been proven wrong. They had been proven wrong before Michael Moore went on the air and made them. A retraction of these false statements has not been publicly made by Michael Moore.

2. AND PUNISHMENT

“Mr. Borgstrom said Mr. Assange’s statement that he has “heard no evidence whatsoever” to support the allegations was false, since the contents of the police report were made available to his Swedish lawyers weeks ago. By presenting the case as a vendetta, he said, Mr. Assange and his legal team were misrepresenting a justice system that required approval from Sweden’s highest appeal court before the extradition warrant was approved. “Those who say that the judges in our court of appeal were influenced by pressure from the United States don’t know what they’re talking about,” he said. “It’s absurd”.

He said by presenting the allegations against him as part of a political conspiracy, Mr. Assange had made “victims” of the two women, who now faced vilification on the Internet and regular death threats.

The New York Times, 12/18/2010. This article also provides full and accurate information of the allegations against Assange, including that he (a) pulled one woman’s clothes off & snapped her necklace, then tore them off again when she tried to put them back on, (b) pinned that woman and held her down to prevent her from getting the condoms, then put one on to penetrate her — as per this account, penetration happening after he’d demonstrated force toward her twice and she had every reason to reasonably believe resisting him might get her physically hurt; that is to say, after physical force had been used to coerce the victim and remove her ability to consent, thus constituting rape — and apparently “did something to it” to make it break, (c) penetrated an unconscious woman, and (d) went back to the first woman, naked from the waist down, and rubbed himself against her without her consent. In the wake of one of the world’s most prestigious newspapers publishing proof that their earlier statements were false and had demonstrably endangered the lives of the two women in the case, neither Mark Stephens nor Michael Moore nor Keith Olbermann have issued a public retraction of their false statements.

I do not know who has given these documents to the media, but the purpose can only be one thing – trying to make Julian look bad.

Bjorn Hurtig, lawyer of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, now apparently opposing leaks of accurate information that had previously been misrepresented to or hidden from the press if those leaks also happen to make someone “look bad,” 12/18/2010.

3. AND CONSEQUENCES (RUN IT ALL THE WAY DOWN).

We require — not ask, not prefer, absolutely require – progressive media and public figures to stand against rape in every case. Again, this is not negotiable. This is mandatory. This is a requirement: If you don’t stand against rape, and make that stand a crucial and central part of your platform, we do not accept you either as a real “progressive” or as someone who is in any way qualified for authority or a leadership position. We will not buy your merchandise; we will not support you; we will speak out against you. Because a progressive movement that doesn’t stand against rape isn’t a progressive movement. It’s just The Man, it’s just the oppressor, it’s just oppression, in a baseball hat, holding a camcorder.

– Tiger Beatdown, 12/15/10

And that’s what I wanted to write about—the friends, brothers, lovers in the counterfeit male-dominated Left. The good guys who think they know what Women’s Lib, as they so chummily call it, is all about—who then proceed to degrade and destroy women by almost everything they say and do: The cover on the last issue of Rat (front and back). The token pussy power orclit militancy articles. The snide descriptions of women staffers on the masthead. The little jokes, the personal ads, the smile, the snarl. No more, brothers. No more well-meaning ignorance, no more cooptation, no more assuming that this thing we’re all fighting for is the same; one revolution under one man, with liberty and justice for all. No more... A genuine Left doesn’t consider anyone’s suffering irrelevant or titillating; nor does it function as a microcosm of capitalist economy, with men competing for power and status at the top, and women doing all the work at the bottom (and functioning as objectified prizes or coin as well). Goodbye to all that.

Run it all the way down.

Robin Morgan, “Goodbye To All That,” Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and fucking SEVENTY.

I’ll suspend this account until/if this frenzy is stopped.

Keith Olbermann, on his Twitter, 2:01 P.M., 12/16/2010

Keep dreaming, Keith Olbermann. And, for that matter, the suspiciously silent-again Michael Moore. We have been opposing the rape culture and misogyny of our pretend “allies” on the “left” — which is not a genuine Left, if it doesn’t stand by women, and if it doesn’t stand against rape in all cases — since this movement began. We have been exposing, protesting, and resisting it. We are the Left: We do not stand for rape apologism and rape culture. We oppose it. By definition, opposing rape apologism and rape culture is what the Left must do. If we agree on nothing else — if I, personally, disagree with Robin Morgan all the damn time, if I sometimes feel like I agree with her about literally nothing else — we agree on this.  And, given that we’ve been saying this stuff since at least 1970, we can keep saying it for a few more days. A few more weeks. A few more months, or a few more years: We can keep putting pressure on you to apologize for giving false information, failing to correct it, and endangering rape victims and/or women who report rape for as long as we have to, until you come down from that tower and tell us you know what you did was wrong.

Hashtag: #MooreandMe. User name: @MMFlint. Until it stops.

*OH SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT??? Did you see THAT RIGHT THERE???? That was A CORRECTION, SON. That’s right: I got something factually wrong, and someone pointed it out to me, and I was all “oh whoops” and issued a PUBLIC FUCKING CORRECTION, as soon as someone pointed it out to me. And I am, despite all odds, not leaving Twitter, not crying in the bathrooms, not writing multiple angry Tweets about how angry the person asking for correction makes me, not hiding under the couch, and not actually, physically DEAD. Which means (a) that making corrections is physically possible, (b) that responsible writers, bloggers, media figures, AND JOURNALISTS ALL DO IT, and (c) the person running this website — “Sady Doyle?” — is apparently less of a wimp than Michael Moore or Keith Olbermann. And so are you. We are all demonstrably stronger than they are. These notably loud, vocal, opinionated, impressive, intimidating, world-famous and/or Oscar-winning men are evidently so intimidated by us asking them to be accountable that they have responded with temper tantrums and silence rather than look us in the face. Like, they can’t even come up with something about how we’re wrong. Because we aren’t, and it scares the shit out of them. Take a minute to think about how fucking impressive you all are for doing this. And then keep going. Because you’re winning. We all are. And we can win more, and better, tomorrow.

1. Jha wrote:

That Robin Morgan quote reads distressingly like Melissa McEwan’s Terrible Bargain. So sad that we STILL have to deal with this =/

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink
  2. That quote from NINETEEN FUCKING SEVENTY is so depressingly relevant.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Permalink
  3. Ordinarytanya wrote:

I can’t believe you’re still managing to put together such coherent stuff, Sady. This is a brilliant summary and I’ve already retweeted.

Until it stops, we won’t.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Permalink
  4. jill.from.the.hill wrote:

Sady, I can’t imagine how exhausted you are right now. I just read through the posts from the past few days and my head is pounding and my nose is running and my eyes are burning and my heart is doing this weird contracting thing that I can’t in good conscience call beating. It’s more like lub-dub-lub-duuu-oh,-to-hell-with-it,-what’s-the-point-of-continuing-on?
    And I scrolled through the comments and thought about all the crap you’ve got to wade through and delete just to keep them friendly and I thought I should send you some encouragement. A simple thank you for keeping TBD safe.
    Sady, when we went around the table at Thanksgiving, listing the things we were thankful for, I thought of you. I thought of TBD. I thought of the men and women who post articles and comments and how smart and funny and wonderful you all are. I want you to know that I give thanks for you. That I thank G-d for the work you’re doing. For keeping me safe. For keeping me riled. For keeping me raw.
    Actually, the sermon today was about love. Loving even when you’re not sure if your love will be wanted or appreciated. Loving outside of your comfort zone. Loving until/when/while it hurts. And I sat there, in my pew, thinking about the #MooreandMe campaign and how it stands for love. Love in the face of adversity and evil and hate and propaganda. You, Sady Doyle, renew my faith. You are amazing. You are probably super creeped by my ardor aaaand I think it’s time more me to just click the submit button and go watch some Office reruns with a nice mug of tea.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Permalink
  5. sarahjude wrote:

right fucking on.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Permalink
  6. Lishra wrote:

Rape culture doesn’t spare the “little things”, and neither can we.

Stay well, stay on their case. We’ll all be there.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Permalink
  7. Sharon wrote:

It is really powerful to know that there is someone out there who fiercely cares about survivors of sexual assault, how they are treated, how they are spoken about.

Keep going. Thank you.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Permalink
  8. Hell to the yeah!

Maybe *this* will be the year they finally get it?

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Permalink
  9. Other Lauren wrote:

I’m with you until the end, Sady!

(…and I will find a better handle, eventually. Until then, “Other Lauren” it is.)

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Permalink
  10. lilacsigil wrote:

1970. Before I was born. How fucking depressing.

if he were any other just normal Brit,
    Assange is not a Brit at all. He’s Australian.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Permalink
  11. Cindy Bourgeois wrote:

Thank you so much!! This important work. Take care of yourself. You are loved.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Permalink
  12. Spatula wrote:

Great summary.
    Great job.

Tigerbeatdown has done amazing things to help me keep my strength and sanity. Thank you so much, Sady.

…And I can’t help noticing that Michael Moore hasn’t posted a new tweet since Dec. 18. LADY. YOU CAUSED MICHAEL MOOR TO BE SILENT. Whatever else he does or does not do with this, know that you have accomplished the impossible already. :)

All jokes aside, I think what you have done to date is already a huge victory. You did not let the lies and rape apologism/victim endangering go. You made a stink and a lot of trouble for people whose behaviour in the media merited it. You demanded better from people who ought to do better. And you made a huge impact on the quality of life of a lot of rape survivors.

Thank you so much.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Permalink
  13. Arkay wrote:

Quick correction, Sady: the CIA-link accusation was taken from Counterpunch, not from the author/Holocaust denier’s own site.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Permalink
  14. ree wrote:

Keep it up girl, you are doing great. Take care of yourelf also

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Permalink
  15. Feminist Spock wrote:

Thank you for all you do and continue to do. You are an inspiration. I truly hope you take care of yourself as well. I also hope we solve this sometime before the 23rd century.
    (*&$#%!!!! Starfleet miniskirts!)

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Permalink
  16. clairedeloony wrote:

Sady, you are amazing. I’d say “keep it up” but you’re obviously going to no matter what anyone says. You are a force of nature and I look up to you.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Permalink
  17. Elizabeth Ross wrote:

I just wanted to thank you for everything that you are doing and to make sure you know that there are a lot people who support the protest and who support you. Your coverage has been eloquent and eyeopening. I am spreading the word to the people I can and donating.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Permalink
  18. tinfoil hattie wrote:

Say, look what Rachel Maddow said in 2009 re: discrimination prisoners with HIV/AIDS! Hmmm, could it apply to … something else, too?

“If something is really, honestly indefensible, it can be defeated. The people perpetrating that indefensible thing will want you to think that what they are doing is inevitable. They will want you to think that it cannot possibly be changed or fixed. That it is the way it has to be, that that is the way it’s gonna be, they will want you to think those things. And it’s not true. An indefensible practice or policy is, in America, vulnerable.”

- Rachel Maddow

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 12:06 am | Permalink
  19. red cow wrote:

“Take a minute to think about how fucking impressive you all are for doing this. And then keep going. Because you’re winning. We all are. And we can win more, and better, tomorrow.”

Don’t forget to apply this to yourself too!!

I hope MM’s silence means he’s listening and learning, but I get the feeling it might be the dudebro “progressive” sneer of silence.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 12:40 am | Permalink
  20. new grrrl wrote:

You are so strong and awesome. Thank you for everything you do. You make me want to do more and you make me feel like I can. Thank you.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:15 am | Permalink
  21. Oriniwen wrote:

Keep going! Keep going, Sady and everyone. And Sady, look after yourself, and do what you need to do, cause even though my one voice is outweighed by seventy majillion assholes who comment here to troll you, I hope this tiny drop in the bucket helps you or someone else.

Keep going. It’s worth it. You all matter and its about fucking time some of the ppl at the top realized it.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:16 am | Permalink
  22. Red3 wrote:

I have been in awe of how you have been able to keep up the pressure on Moore and Olbermann both. You are doing vital, inspiring work and you are not doing it alone. Thank you!

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:31 am | Permalink
  23. Mirai wrote:

I have to say of all the things about this, what I’m most impressed with is that you keep going. People are verbally attacking you constantly, and you keep pressing on. The fact that you refuse to give up motivates me to press on. The sheer blood sweat and tears you are exerting is phenomenal; inspiring.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:56 am | Permalink
  24. Spiffy McBang wrote:

Sady, I’ve been trying to keep up with this, but I end up too pissed to even finish these epic posts sometimes because I’ll start smashing my face against a wall.

You’re amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever told anyone that before, not even my closest, know-them-flesh-and-blood friends. But it’s true and you deserve to hear it from everyone.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 2:07 am | Permalink
  25. gherkinette wrote:

Sady, I’m fairly new to TBD and you’ve blown me away with your commitment and dedication to this. You’re my Woman of the Year for sure, quite possibly the decade…

Thank you for being an ally.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 2:14 am | Permalink
  26. Adam wrote:

Sady, I am so inspired by what you are doing. Don’t ever stop.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 2:38 am | Permalink
  27. Sady, I am completely spoonless right now and can’t really think straight, but I wanted to tell you how amazing you are, how important this is, and how much I am abso-fucking-lutely (academically) squeeing about the way this is going down. (Said squeeing will be upgraded to non-academic status when you inevitably succeed, naturally)

I also want to hug you and buy you the beverage of your choice and some delicious pastries, then put you straight to bed. You may be taking your health and safety off the table as requirements, but frankly, I’m not willing to do that. I don’t know what I can do to help with those things, but if I have anything at all to say about it, someone will make it happen.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 2:48 am | Permalink
  28. Napalmnacey wrote:

I’m on the other end of the globe. Will keep the signal going when you sleep.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 3:31 am | Permalink
  29. sealz wrote:

Much love to the Sady Doyle. Your inspiring campaign is the gift I didn’t know I wanted for the holiday season.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 4:27 am | Permalink
  30. Erica wrote:

You are just incredible. This is hold-the-line, you-shall-not-pass epic, and I am breathlessly inspired.
    No matter what happens out of this, the mark you’re leaving on our collective consciousness is indelible. To echo Napalmnacey, you can’t stop the signal.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 6:00 am | Permalink
  31. Angela wrote:

We’re still here, Sady. With you, and because of you.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 8:31 am | Permalink
  32. Kat wrote:

Burn it down, Sady! We’re with you. You are a goddamn champion.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 9:02 am | Permalink
  33. Rutee wrote:

I don’t have any money. I don’t know how twitter works. Someone at least explain what I can do to help with this. It’s the only thing I know I can do.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 9:17 am | Permalink
  34. GIFTTOTHEGUTTER wrote:

Sady, you’re an inspiration. I’m standing outside that tower with you until he comes out.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 9:40 am | Permalink
  35. Ipinea Ksimpor wrote:

Dear Sady,

I just wanted to add my voice of support. You are inspirational. Sending you love and hugs, if wanted.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 9:44 am | Permalink
  36. Hayley B wrote:

I have been reading TBD for a while now, rarely commented. It has been inspiring me, (particularly Sady’s posts, though the other writers are great too) absolutely constantly. I am blown away, I am moved, and I am educated on this site: CONSTANTLY. Sady and the other writers are so smart, such good writers, so damn insightful.
    This past week with the Assange crap has been no different, except for maybe more moving. I’ve cried. I’m not on twitter, I don’t have much internet access, but I did just donate twenty bucks (unemployed) to RAINN. I’ve also participated by telling people, specifically my parents who watch a lot of news, about this. They had no idea. We’re spreading the truth, we’re spreading awareness, and we’re making a difference (hopefully even if we’re not on twitter).

Sady, you’re my favorite internet writer ever. You’re amazing, like everyone here is telling you. Believe us! Believe us.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 9:50 am | Permalink
  37. JuliaJulia wrote:

Keepgoing,please!Thisisincredible.Thankyou.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 10:18 am | Permalink
  38. Suzers wrote:

Oh Sady. You are my hero, so many times over. My heart is overflowing with joy for you and hurt for you. THANK YOU. Thank you to everyone else who is participating in this, also. You make me hope for a better world.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 10:51 am | Permalink
  39. Suzers wrote:

*joy because of you, because of your existence

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 11:04 am | Permalink
  40. canyonwren wrote:

Sady, you’re hilarious and brilliant and brave. Thank you, so much, for doing this.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink
  41. Julia wrote:

@36: That was my post. Chrome screws everything up on the comments page and I couldn’t see my post. But I still am in awe of this and appreciate it so much. I was attempted-to-be-sexually-assaulted while pretending to be asleep, and one of my closest friends said I should have done XYZ and that she wasn’t going to fully believe me until she heard the guy’s side of the story (we’re not friends anymore). Also, just like probably everyone here, I know others who have been assaulted/raped and either haven’t spoken for fear of being smeared/disbelieved, and those who have.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink
  42. Julia wrote:

Not at @36, @37! Jeez I am failing at posting here.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink
  43. Much, much love and support to you. <3

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 11:28 am | Permalink
  44. tinfoil hattie wrote:

Rutee @33, sign up at twitter.com

Then tweet! You have 140 characters to send your message. Tweet to @MMFlint, which is Michael Moore’s twitter “address.” At the end of whatever you tweet, put #Mooreandme so it’s easy to find and follow these tweets. I never tweeted before 3 days ago, and now I can’t stop!

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 11:42 am | Permalink
  45. Odette wrote:

Thank you for your bravery.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink
  46. Liz wrote:

Hey, I’ve donated 10$ to a local nonprofit that does counseling for college victims of sexual assault. I’ve also donated 10$ to Tiger Beatdown to let you know I support *what you’re doing* so much.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink
  47. AnnaAnastasia wrote:

I won’t stop tweeting until it’s resolved. Thank you, thank you, thank you Sady!!

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Permalink
  48. Godless Heathen wrote:

Thank you, Sady, thank you Kate Harding, thank you Jaclyn Friedman, Brian Stuart, all the amazing people I’ve found and started following.

I had to lock my timeline so I could talk to my friends without my spouse snooping. I haven’t been able to join in, to tell the stories of my own rapes, to just rage at these men who think they can dismiss us so easily. Isn’t that a pisser, I can’t talk about rape because of domestic abuse? ‘Scuse the language.

I’ve been on a “kill your television” tear for a long time, and today I’ve been using my outrage at these comfortable white men who stand on our backs to have their celebrity to make broader points about how the media doesn’t want us to have a voice. I’m so upset thinking that when this is over, we’ll all fall silent and these white men, these white men whose privilege insulates them so thoroughly from ordinary women’s lives will once again be speaking. Our voices are so powerful right now, the voices of ordinary men and women, and I’m so despondent to think of the silence that’s to come.

The truth is, these affluent, these powerful, these popular white men, they don’t mean us well. They’ve proven that they’ll sell us for ratings at a moment’s notice. I say they haven’t earned the right to speak. I say they should remain silent forever while our voices can finally be heard. I say, we don’t need them. Not at all. We are more powerful and wiser than we’d ever dreamed we were.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Permalink
  49. jt wrote:

Please keep up the good work, Sady, but don’t burn out – don’t feel guilty to take breaks. You’re important too and losing your voice (through exhaustion, threats from trolls, whatever) would be terrible. We’ve got your back!

Tittle tattle time: My brother worked at a place which hosted a Michael Moore event a few years ago and said that, contrary to his expectations, MM was “rude, brusque, arrogant and selfish”. He was massively disappointed to find his idol was far from pleasant.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Permalink
  50. Palaverer wrote:

Ok, I have joined twitter for the sole purpose of supporting this campaign and cannot for the life of me figure out how to use it. It says I cannot send a message to a user who is not following me. So how am I supposed to join the campaign? Who do I tweet to?

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Permalink
  51. Aoede wrote:

If you put the @ sign right in front of somebody’s username, it “mentions” them, like “@KeithOlbermann” or “@MMFlint”. You can’t direct-message someone not following you, that’s all.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Permalink
  52. Palaverer wrote:

Thanks Aoede. But if I don’t have any followers yet, who do I direct messages to?

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Permalink
  53. Aoede wrote:

You could direct them at Olbermann and/or Moore, and/or you could follow http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23MooreandMe and reply to people who are going “Huh what’s going on”, people who are still parroting the “IT WAS A BROKEN CONDOM” story, etc. You could also “retweet” messages from there which you think are relevant and deserve to stay in the public eye.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Permalink
  54. Some basics about Twitter and how to use it. (I hope this is helpful to those new to Twiter who have asked.)

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Permalink
  55. LZ wrote:

Who knew, at the beginning of last week, shit would get so real?

I am truly impressed by what you’ve managed, and the way in which you’ve helped magnify a lot of small voices, with this twitter protest.

Keep up the good work, but also take care of yourself. And (as always) let us, your readers, know if there’s anything more we can do to lighten your load.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Permalink
  56. Trish W wrote:

I’m a usual lurker, delurking to say that I’ll be on twitter again with you guys as soon as I get home from work, tweeting in between my Christmas baking! Four days of twitter and I can’t stop.

Take care of yourself Sady, we’re here with you!

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Permalink
  57. Sarah Young wrote:

I’m sharing every one of your posts and spreading the word as best I can. Keep up the amazing work!

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Permalink
  58. RA wrote:

Just found this website. THANK YOU THANK YOU. I am so sick of having to sit down and shut up and take one for the liberal team- on abortion, on equal pay, on birth control coverage etc, etc… Women have been taken for granted by political left for generations, and I am SICK OF IT.

I read the unmitigated BS from the prominent left wing (mostly male) bloggers about the Assange case and was astonished how casual their disregard of rape was.

One prominent example- Andrew Sullivan

Here is one link

He approvingly seconds this sentence (read the whole thing for context)
    “It seems unlikely to me that anyone would include a situation that did not include an explicit ‘no’ under the category of rape, but then I’ve learned that feminists often believe things that I find impossible to imagine.”

Yes, big bad feminists.

And

“I guess if you live in a country where the government stakes out an interest in whether a condom breaks or not in consensual sex, you may never find out.”

If there is so little critical thinking and consideration on a matter that is so important to women, I will reconsider my involvement in the causes that do not directly affect me.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink
  59. MegMeg wrote:

Ihaveneverseenanythingasdepressingastryingtoreadtheslashdotcommentsonthiscase.*sigh*

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Permalink
  60. Joy wrote:

I love you Sady Doyle. Because even though I don’t know you in real life at all, I matter to you and my daughter matters to you and I believe this in my heart. That is amazing. That is revolutionary. You will always matter to me.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Permalink
  61. Carpenter wrote:

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink
  62. BobcatCorduroy wrote:

I’m glad you are on my side, Sady Doyle.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Permalink
  63. Marie wrote:

I joined twitter today to participate in the protest. Sady, you’re amazing for doing this.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Permalink
  64. Katie wrote:

“Strong is fighting! It’s hard, and it’s painful, and it’s every day. It’s what we have to do. And we can do it together.”

–Buffy

You are so brilliant, so decent, so brave. I can only hope I have the dedication to become even half the person you are.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Permalink
  65. Doctress Julia wrote:

OK, I just offered to volunteer at the local rape crisis center. Maybe I can help in that way? It doesn’t mean I won’t be out tonight with my utility belt on (cell phone, tear gas, free cab ride vouchers, fists, voice), ready to fight if I need to. I am rather violent- it’s all I know. But, I will fight for LOVE, and for right. Just like you. Goddamned PTSD… makes me write all crazy… sigh, want a beer… must numb my feelings… keep fighting. xoxo.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Permalink
  66. Thank you.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Permalink
  67. Artemis wrote:

Donated $25 to RAINN and am volunteering at the closest women’s shelter I can find. I am SO ANGRY.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Permalink
  68. Magrat Garlick wrote:

I just want to express my deep
    admiration. You are
    inspirational. Thank
    you for your important work.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Permalink
  69. Agnes wrote:

I just wrote a letter to the editors at Slate (corrections@slate.com) about that first link. If anyone wants to use my text as a base, it went like this:

To the editors at Slate,

I have been a long-time reader of Slate, and in all that time, I have been impressed with the insightful and solid reporting done by Slate. For this reason, I find it shocking that in the wake of the facts about the Assange rape charges coming out in such publications as the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/world/europe/19assange.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&src=twt&twt=nytimes), you have allowed an article (http://slatest.slate.com/id/2276690/) that states that he is wanted for some bogus “sex by surprise” or “broken condom” charge to remain without comment or correction.

Sincerely,
    Agnes

I feel like it needed a third sentence (praise, correct, polish, as we discussed in my Teaching Reading and Writing class when we were talking about editing students’ work) but I was a little stuck on what to wrap it up with.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Permalink
  70. ree wrote:

Heard Rachel Maddow is going to interview Moore on her show tommorrow.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 12:08 am | Permalink
  71. Laura wrote:

Hey Sady. I’ve been watching all this with growing incredulity and frustration. Wrote a very concise blog post about it that I hope you’ll have something to say about.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 12:57 am | Permalink
  72. realisticidealst wrote:

I wanted to let you know you’re not alone. I am so moved I am almost beyond words. Even though I’ve never been interested in twitter before I just now created a twitter account (ragemoore) so I can stand with you.

I have been a feminist activist for 4 years and I have never been more inspired and empowered than I have by reading your posts. I will do all I can to fight with you. Not just on this specific issue but on spreading prevention education and striving to end sexual assault for as long as I am alive.

Just remember that for every horrible, thoughtless, ignorant, close-minded and downright mean comment you get there is an impassioned, intelligent feminist who is stronger and more dedicated than they could ever hope to be.

Thank you so much. For being you, sharing it with us all in your eloquent, brilliant and hilarious way, and refusing to be quiet no matter what the cost.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 1:54 am | Permalink
  73. I thought you should know that I described your efforts to a friend, and the fact that beyond never giving up, you’ve had a moving and inspiring blog post every day, and said friend then replied that you were like the Optimus Prime of feminism. I have to agree, with the addendum that you are also a superhero and if I had more than $5 in my bank account, I would buy you a cape.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 3:44 am | Permalink
  74. Alison wrote:

Thanks Sady and everyone else. I tweeted for the first time today for this cause. You all inspired me.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 3:48 am | Permalink
  75. Wednesday wrote:

Keep going, Sady. You’re an inspiration.

My thoughts on #Mooreandme here.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 5:15 am | Permalink
  76. Cyberwulf wrote:

A friend of mine who considered himself a paragon of progressive thought turned on me and threatened me because I said a man doesn’t have a right to know if a woman is aborting his foetus. It doesn’t surprise me at all that Mike and Keith are also Liberal Dudes who only support women’s rights as long as it’s convenient to do so.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 7:20 am | Permalink
  77. WINEALOT wrote:

Sady, I think what you are doing is amazing, inspiring and important. Know that the hearts and minds of many, all over the world, are behind you.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 8:13 am | Permalink
  78. MomTFH wrote:

I posted a link to this post and a comment on the Rachel Maddow Show page on Facebook. She will be interviewing Michael Moore tonight. I said I hope she will ask him about it.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 9:53 am | Permalink
  79. Attie wrote:

Oh damn Sady THANK YOU SO MUCH for doing everything I would like to do and can’t, for standing strong in the face of all this crap. I’ve got a lot of misinformed geeks in my social circle, and I’ve been doing my best to correct the misinformation when I could in person, but I never even went on twitter once because I literally can’t stand the thought of having yet another penis picture @-replied to me. I hope that one day I can be as strong as you.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 10:14 am | Permalink
  80. Nikki04 wrote:

I don’t know where the fuck I have been, but I am here now. I don’t know what I can do, but I will do what I can.

Keep fighting, I am beside you.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 11:09 am | Permalink
  81. Eileen wrote:

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink
  82. Aoede wrote:

So my Twitter account died on me. I’m not sure why — I’m not getting any “too many tweets” or “you’ve been suspended” messages, just error messages every time I try to (re)tweet.

Oddly enough, my game account is working just fine. I will refrain from positing conspiracy theories and continue tweeting from there.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Permalink
  83. dindc wrote:

Thank you for this, truly. Stand tall.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Permalink
  84. GIFTTOTHEGUTTER wrote:

Twitter has died for me too! I can log in but just get a blank screen and error on page when I try to do anything. Really strange…

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Permalink
  85. Aoede wrote:

Okay, my main stopped fritzing when my game started fritzing. WEIRD. But whatever, I’m back in the game.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Permalink
  86. Rachel wrote:

Thank you, Sady, for doing this! I don’t know much about Twitter and really don’t want to learn it but maybe there are other ways we can help.

For example, we can also watch for comments that downplay the charges against Assange and then correct those commentators. It’s already started in the Rachel Maddow show comment section (http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/12/21/5692437-the-michael-moore-interview). Taking this beyond Twitter might also take this to another level that will reach an even wider audience…

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 at 1:24 am | Permalink
  87. Hershele Ostropoler wrote:

This is why I’ve stopped calling myself a feminist. I won’t demean Sady Doyle or Kate Harding (et alia) for me to say “M3 T00!”

if he were any other just normal Brit,
    Assange is not a Brit at all. He’s Australian.

When Sady says “none of the above statements are true,” she means none of them. Including “and” and “the.”

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 at 10:51 am | Permalink
  88. Nona Mills wrote:

Thank you for this, truly. Stand tall.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink
  89. This has completely changed my opinion of Moore. I don’t know what he thought he was accomplishing by ignoring #mooreandme, but I’ll never trust him again. Olbermann either. I knew they were imperfect, but I really did think that they were working in good faith and that they were basically progressive. I won’t make that mistake again.

Friday, December 24, 2010 at 3:29 am | Permalink
  90. This hasn’t changed my opinion of Moore at all, I’ve figured he was a dipshit since before “Sicko.” And to me Olbermann has long had a ’60s-liberal vibe, misogyny and all.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 at 11:42 am | Permalink