Skip to content

WHY TIGER BEATDOWN HAS JOKES ON IT: Turns Out Some Motherfucker Had To Ask Me

You guys, Tiger Beatdown is a blog. And, on this blog, we have a comment section! Sometimes the comment section is pretty interesting. And sometimes, the comment section gives us some shit like this! From “Freddie”:

I would ordinarily never, ever do this self-linking deal, but this post kind of compels it.

[LINK DELETED BECAUSE NO-ONE CARES.]

Look, I have to tell you: your whole enterprise here, the whole long and short of it, appears to be an edifice designed to give you a platform that paws at discourse while denying the possibility of you ever getting called on anything. I mean the whole apparatus of the place. It’s like this constant recursion of LOLspeak/serious speak/LOLspeak, this Russian dolls style thing you’re so enamored with. It’s just a mechanism to introduce a self-limiting aspect on what you want to say; you want to be heard and to be taken seriously, but you want the out to be able to say that you were just goofing. Well, goof away, it’s the Internet, and it’s your dime, but understand that you are denying intellectual rigor when you do so.

This is your space, your place of power, and you can define it any particular way you choose. I am not particularly impressed with this post or the assumptions that undergird it, but mostly I am unimpressed with your defense mechanisms. Say what you have to say. I do, I have, and I will.

You guys, I think Freddie is unimpressed with our deeply unserious, unfeminist tomfoolery! But, SINCE FREDDIE ASKED, there are a few reasons why Tiger Beatdown has jokes on it. AND THEY ARE:

1. We present serious, and subversive, and controversial subject matter here. More or less continually. We also make jokes. This is because serious, subversive, controversial subject matter tends to bore people, or scare them. If people are bored or scared, then they’re not learning. When they read Tiger Beatdown, they are entertained. They end up learning through the serious, subversive, and controversial points presented over the course of that entertainment. Also, they don’t feel like someone just had to shove a pill down their throats. We sneak it into the applesauce instead. Who doesn’t like applesauce, really?

2. The primary provider of content to this site is me, Sady Doyle. I’m continually looking for people to delegate to, to bring more content onto the site so that I can have or look for other jobs without Tiger Beatdown going blank, but the fact is, I have found some people, and the vast majority of the work published on the site is still written by me. Therefore, the site, being largely comprised of work by me, reflects my personality. And I make jokes.

Here’s the thing: I’m a person who gets scared or sad or angry a lot. I feel these emotions very intensely. I’m a passionate person, and I’m also a person whose experience of the world has been, at times, almost unbearably hard. I’m not going to tell you how or why, Freddie, because — among other reasons — I am keenly aware of the fact that I owe you jack shit, but if you have ever wondered if the more common and violent mechanisms for enforcing women’s oppression have affected me, personally, the answer is: Yep! And, like a lot of people who are oppressed in violent ways, I didn’t have the power to stop it or to erase it from my history. I was, in a sense, powerless. But then, at around the age of eleven or twelve, when things started getting really hard, I figured out that I did have one kind of power, after all.

My power was that I could make jokes.

I mean, not out loud. I would have been punished or hurt for that. But I could tell myself jokes, privately. I could make myself laugh. And I figured out that, when things got scary or sad or infuriating, when I was on the verge of being overwhelmed, I could make myself feel safer and more in control — I could, in the vernacular, empower myself — by making myself laugh about it. I could laugh at myself; I could laugh at the situation; I could laugh at the people who were hurting me. And I could console myself with the fact that I was far more powerful than the people who hurt me could imagine; they thought they were in charge, they thought they were going to destroy me, they thought I existed to be used and hurt and cast aside, but what they didn’t know was that I was laughing at them, the whole way through. I saw through them, I saw precisely how weak and ridiculous and pathetic they were, and I thought it was fucking hilarious. They were the chumps. They were my entertainment.

And so, I honed the art of making myself laugh. And, after about twenty-five or twenty-six years on the planet, having honed this skill, I registered a blog on Blogspot. And I didn’t tell any of my friends about it, because I thought my politics might be too out-there for most of the folks I knew. But what I did, on this blog, was to type out some of the jokes I told myself, over the course of a day. And then, suddenly, more or less unexpectedly, people started reading.

And now, Freddie? Now, I’m Sady fucking Doyle. Of Tiger fucking Beatdown. Which gets roughly one hundred fucking thousand pageviews per month. And if you don’t like my jokes, motherfucker, then what you can do is, you can just. Fucking. LIVE WITH IT. Because these jokes, this secret little mode of resistance that I developed because I had no other options, have become the way I pay my rent. And neither you nor your various Serious Theory Friends nor God himself nor ANYTHING short of my own unexpected and sudden death in a car accident can fucking stop me. This is maybe self-aggrandizing, but you know what? I’m fine with that. I made myself who I am today, and she’s a pretty fucking great lady to be. And the thing is, if you can work harder than I have, if you can write better than I can, if you can equal or surpass my accomplishment, I’ll aggrandize you, too. God knows I don’t hesitate to sing the praises of people like, I dunno, Choire Sicha or Jessica Valenti or Jill Filipovic or Josh Fruhlinger or Clay Shirky, all of whom have done way better work than I have. But you can’t do even as well as I have, Freddie. Can you? Which is part of this whole deal. You’re not better than me, and it makes you sad.

Tough shit, dude. And don’t fucking come for my jokes because you think it’s where I’m vulnerable. Jokes are how I’ve survived, and jokes are why I’m here, and jokes are the one thing I won’t give up. Because, as it turns out, that whole “jokes = power” thing wasn’t just some crazy consolation prize I made up in my head, after all.

3. I do it to piss you off.

It didn’t miss my attention, Freddie, that the jokes you specifically took exception to were about creepy dudes pretending to be feminist to get laid. Or, that you took exception to them because they made you think that the two feminists who made the jokes, Amanda Hess and I, might not sleep with you even though you are totes feminist and stuff:

I  guess what I’m saying is that I am thinking about that date that Amanda and Sady are talking about. If I went on that date, with either or them, they would indeed find themselves on a date with a feminist. But as I am a feminist whose feminism is not a product of feeling obliged to any particular women or to some vague category called “women,” but rather to the principles of equality and human liberation which inform and support feminism, they are unlikely to find me the kind of feminist whose feminism is guaranteed or even likely to please or flatter them. What I wonder is, what if their questions reveal a man who is a feminist that has ideas about feminism that differs from theirs? And what if that feminist man isn’t inclined to back down from his position in an attempt to please them?

There are a few answers to this question, Freddie. The first is that I am never, ever, EVER going to fuck you, and Amanda has had a boyfriend for approximately forever as I understand it, and I have a boyfriend TOO but would STILL avoid fucking you were that not the case, so you REALLY don’t need to worry about how this theoretical feminist date of ours might go. It would always end with you not getting fucked, is the answer. From the massively whingy tone of your post, I get the sense that this is not an unfamiliar experience. But if there were something I could do for you that was the OPPOSITE of fucking you, I might do that. Like, maybe feed you saltpeter so that your all-important feminist erection ceases to exist and/or become a determining factor for how you will allow women to talk about their own oppression: I would do that, on your magical Fantasy Date With Sady. Because dudes like you make me understand ladies like Valerie Solanas, for real. Because when I think about the above paragraph, my pussy fucking ceases to produce all moisture, possibly forever. You are, Freddie, as far as I am concerned, literally unfuckable by any stretch of the imagination. So, there’s that question, answered.

The second answer hinges on the first, and ends with a question mark just basically because I can do that, and it is: How the HELL can you presume to describe yourself as a feminist, Freddie? Like, how the fuck do you listen to two women talking about an experience, of feminism, and confirming with each other that they’ve both had similar experiences, and write a post about how they are not being considerate enough to men, and still sign off as a fucking feminist man at the end of the day? You’re not. You are not a feminist. You have, actually, nothing to contribute to feminist discourse. Because, still, the experiences of women are less important to you than how eager those women are to accomodate your personal fucking boner. You want to be a feminist, Freddie? Listen closely, because I’m about to tell you how:

SHUT. THE FUCK. UP.

I mean it. SHUT THE FUCK UP, Freddie. Shut the fuck up and let the big girls talk. Because we know way more about this than you. And every time you want to pitch in with an observation? Shut the fuck up a little bit harder. And maybe, after a few years or decades or whatever, you might have absorbed enough from listening to people with actual feminist insight (possibly related to their actually being women) to contribute productively to the conversation. But, in the meantime, actual feminists are going to get a lot more done, simply by virtue of not having to listen to the ungodly noise that comes out of your mouth. Truly, Freddie: You should shut the fuck up. Shutting the fuck up is, in fact, the biggest contribution you can make to the feminist cause.

Also, delete your blog. Because it is, can I tell you, just awful.

4. I tell jokes because it’s my blog, motherfucker. And I decide what gets published on my blog. We publish some dudes! Some ladies! Me! All selected for their skills at making jokes that enlighten the reader as to the nature and mechanisms of oppression! I tend to think, for all of the reasons listed above, we are doing the public a service. A feminist service, in fact!

Oh, hey, speaking of: I’ve been shy about this, because I’ve been looking for other work lately and have therefore not been posting as much, but I do believe it is Tiger Beatdown Pledge Drive Time! AGAIN. Yes, it’s that very special time of the every-two-months-or-so when you can donate money to Tiger Beatdown to keep it financially viable and running as a site. (And if I ever make enough money to live from it, it will be the ONLY site I work on, hence more posts.) This time, we are having a Tiger Beatdown Pledge Drive with a special purpose! Donate as much money as you can, or as much as you can reasonably manage, and I promise — PROMISE — to report how much I make. Because the amount of money I make will determine the minimum number of jokes I am contractually and ethically obligated to make on Tiger Beatdown over the course of the next year. You donate a thousand dollars? I have to make a thousand jokes! Two dollars? I have to make two jokes! And so on! And so forth!

You guys, it is an experiment. A feminist experiment. And I entitle this feminist experiment, “Let’s See How Many People Think Freddie Is Wrong.” Here’s the button, where you can demonstrate his wrongness!


Press if you don’t care about Freddie’s boners. For real.

– UPDATE: MYSTERIES OF FREDDIE, REVEALED! –

It turns out, Freddie did not just spring full-fledged from the earth like a malevolent Rumplestiltskin of blog comments! According to Megan Carpentier, formerly of Jezebel, Freddie is in fact immediately identifiable by his writing style. He is Freddie de Boer, who cares so intensely about Freddie’s de Boners that he likes to (a) get himself banned from lady sites, (b) personally e-mail Megan Carpentier (at the least!) to share his thoughts on how mean she is, and (c) have his e-mail address — freddie7@gmail.com — posted on the Internet. Also, the conservative web magazine to which he contributes accepts donations! Who wants to give Freddie de “freddie7@gmail.com” Bo(n)er’s employers negative donations? It is pretty easy! It turns out!

Also: Thanks, Megan.

193 Comments

  1. tess wrote:

    DONE. I wish I were richer, so that I could show monetarily EXACTLY how much I do not care about Freddie’s boners, but please know that the amount I have contributed is in no way proportionate to how much I don’t care about Freddie’s boners.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Permalink
  2. Freddie wrote:

    So, in other words, you aren’t capable of defending your ideas, and so you freak out when someone calls you out on some of them. That’s cool– like I said, your dime. But make no mistake, the fact that you are so incapable of actually engaging rationally– that you post with such obvious insecurity, emotionalism, and spite, rather than anything resembling a coherent argument– that, ultimately, undermines what you will accomplish for feminism.

    Now– from my angle, what you could do is actually engage your self-critical process and become a better advocate for your ideas. Or you can censor, and flip out, and continue to police your space against any kind of constructive criticism. Meanwhile, I will engage in the ethical project of my life, which is the project of liberation, a project which I do not and will not ever ask for anyone’s permission to undertake.

    Let this comment stand as is, please, if you value free expression.

    [EDIT: THIS COMMENT HAS BEEN EDITED TO CLARIFY THAT FREDDIE CARES ABOUT FREDDIE'S BONERS. FREE FREDDIE'S BONERS! THEY ARE SAD WHEN WOMEN DON'T SUCK ON THEM REGARDLESS OF WHAT HE THINKS! FREDDIE'S BONERS: THE MOST OPPRESSED BONERS OF OUR TIME.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Permalink
  3. Miss Smog wrote:

    OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU SADY!!!!!!
    AND FREDDIE>>>>>>>>> FUCKING ROT IN HELL YOU TYPICAL PIECE OF SHIT

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
  4. Sarah TX wrote:

    I actually wrote out a long rant with actualy, like, citations on Freddie’s blog, but you know what?

    I’M SICK OF HAVING TO DEAL WITH FREDDIES. They are everywhere and they are seriously pissing me off.

    Quoting Freddie: “Let this comment stand as is, please, if you value free expression.”

    Oh my holy jeebus who art in New Jersey just shut up and listen already. Sady Is Angry. She is angry at You because you continue to wave your dick around and pretend that you’re being “Rational” and “learned”.

    Rationality blows. Rationality led Nixon to fucking bomb Cambodia and then lie about it to the American public. If emotionality is dichotomous opposite (I don’t believe it is, but Freddie apparently does), then Emotions 2012!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink
  5. tess wrote:

    Freddie – I don’t know why I am bothering to understand as Sady made it abundantly clear that she uses humor to talk about serious subjects to keep herself and others from going completely fucking bananas while discussing dealing with the everyday fucked-up shit that happens in the world, but can I just say how much I LOATHE it when people insist on blog owners keeping their useless comments visible in the name of “free speech”? This is a blog, owned by Sady, who really does not have to give a shit about your opinions, and in leaving your comment off her site, she would in no way be disrespecting free speech. You are free to say whatever you want about this site anywhere else on the intertubes, but I don’t think anyone here is too interested.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Permalink
  6. m. leblanc wrote:

    Freddie, only an anti-feminist who is terrified of the feminist bonerkiller could ever type the word “emotionalism” with a straight face. I am laughing. Really hard. Thanks.

    Censoring? You should be happy. Your comment is right there on the front page.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Permalink
  7. emjaybee wrote:

    This is the second time today I have been privileged to see some excellent feminist GRAR. Women Refusing to Put Up With It Anymore is my favorite Internet meme.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Permalink
  8. Meg wrote:

    I do think it is uncool to assault men’s bodily self-integrity by feeding them chemically castrating agents, because this is something that has actually been done to men who’s consensual sexual behavior other people don’t approve of (like men who like having sex with other men! Such as Alan Turing, for example.)

    On the other hand, people who tell feminists they are Doing Feminism Wrong in any way that isn’t about calling them out on a specific axis of intersectionality that the feminist may have missed because of being human and possibly not experiencing that axis of oppression, are jerks.

    Also, Freddie, people who say they are are for “equality” and “humanity” usually mean that they are “feminist” in the “post-racial” sort of way, which means they end up trying to mansplain all over other people’s blogs without questioning their own privilege, particularly their own educational privilege which says they know the best possible way to present ideas to the world. I would suggest that you might be a better advocate for your ideas, Freddie, if you don’t do that.

    (See what I did there!!?! Totally a joke! Someday I may grow up to be sort of like Sady fuckin’ Doyle, except that I keep writing run on sentences instead of sentence fragments…)

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  9. Shinobi wrote:

    Well SOMEBODY didn’t read point #3 carefully enough.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  10. tess wrote:

    Um, anger fail on my part. Obviously I meant to say “why I am bothering to respond” not “understand.” Sorry, all.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  11. jfruh wrote:

    “the jokes you specifically took exception to were about creepy dudes pretending to be feminist to get laid.”

    THOSE ARE AMONG THE BEST KINDS OF JOKES THOUGH.

    Seriously, I am biased on this point, but there are fewer things more subversive to the dominant power structure than motherfucking jokes. There are reasons why kids who get picked on a lot in school become class clowns, and why every attempt to create a “conservative Daily Show” has failed spectacularly.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  12. Freddie wrote:

    [BONERS.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Permalink
  13. RedSonja wrote:

    Personally, I’m fucking gobsmacked that anyone would accuse Sady of not being willing to stand by anything she’s written, and using humor as a way to disavow it. Apparently he only read the one post.

    Freddie, I’ll save you some time here – if Sady writes it, she means it. If you don’t like the humor, or the POV, don’t read it. Thanks for stopping by, feel free to stay gone.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Permalink
  14. Nettle wrote:

    Sady is UNDERMINING FEMINISM with her TONE, everyone! Also she should be concerned that some random guy from the Internet might not enjoy dating her.

    Paypal button duly mashed, Sady.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Permalink
  15. Jill wrote:

    Oh how much I love this post. I wish I could give a million dollars. I love when tiny little things (Freddie’s Boners) illicit large responses (Tiger Beatdown hilarity).

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
  16. Teaspoon wrote:

    Sady, you are awesome. I am sadly flat-ass broke due to paying for graduate school, where I am filling my ladybranes with knowledge and skills that do not (sadly for Freddie) involve Freddie or his poor neglected boner. But if I had extra cash lying about, I would totes send some of it to you, in honor of how little I care about Freddie’s opinions on how ladies should conduct themselves when discussing lady business. Or you know, ever.

    One day, I will graduate, and then I will hopefully get a job that pays enough that I will have extra cash lying around. And some of it? Totally already earmarked for the smart and funny Sady fucking Doyle at Tiger fucking Beatdown, who has reminded me on more occasions than today that jokes=power, and that laughter is an appropriate response to the absurd.

    Also, your internets is in the mail.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Permalink
  17. Brad Nelson wrote:

    Meanwhile, I will engage in the ethical project of my life, which is the project of liberation, a project which I do not and will not ever ask for anyone’s permission to undertake.

    WHY FREDDIE HIMSELF IS A JOKE

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Permalink
  18. smadin wrote:

    Sady, I think there’s something wrong with your comment submission box, or maybe your WordPress theme? Because I see a comment there with the name “Freddie” on top of it, but when I try to read it, my eyes glaze over and I just hear the Charlie Brown teacher voice in my head.

    Oh, wait, there’s that all-caps edited section at the end there, I can read that. So, I guess your blog is fine!

    (PS Down with Freddie’s boners!)

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Permalink
  19. Erin R wrote:

    So I’m pretty cheap, but this finally inspired me to donate, just to spite Freddies of the world. :)

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Permalink
  20. Nora wrote:

    I find you guys hilarious and adore the jokes. Please keep making the jokes!!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Permalink
  21. Freddie wrote:

    [BONERS.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Permalink
  22. Brad Nelson wrote:

    I feel as though I am riding a righteous wave. The donate button is mine to exploit. I like to believe that my hard-earned dollars are contributing to Freddie’s project of unending pain.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Permalink
  23. katiemonstrrr wrote:

    WOW. I think Freddie is in the finals to win Mansplainer of the Year.

    Also? FYI, calling a legitimately angry woman (especially one who is angry at YOU) irrational/emotional/insecure is A FUCKING 101 LEVEL TEXTBOOK sexist douchebag silencing technique. Your feminism sucks, Freddie.
    And it’s really sad that this needs to be pointed out to you: “free expression” does not mean “free from criticism.” You sound like a fucking troll.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Permalink
  24. Chris wrote:

    Donating. So. Hard.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink
  25. Nora wrote:

    Also, I have been wondering if Joey Comeau is reading you guys, because of this comic strip, which is OPEN TO INTERPRETATION.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink
  26. Hume wrote:

    [WE STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH FREDDIE'S BONERS AGAINST THOSE WHO WOULD OPPRESS THEM.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink
  27. Shinobi wrote:

    Freddi, I know I totally shouldn’t engage you on this because you are clearly a 4 person douche canoe, but I’m going to because I can’t let it go.

    When you say to someone something like “Let this comment stand as is, please, if you value free expression.” You are not asking.

    That is not a question, that is coercion. You are threatening someone with a label if they do not acknowledge your request.

    Secondly, WE ALL FUCKING KNOW SHE CAN DELETE IT IF SHE WANTS. As she mentioned, it is her blog, and you do NOT get to tell her (or anyone else really) what to do or not to do.

    You are not doing a great job of defending yourself, if I were you, I would take the advice mentioned above in point #3. (Fortunately I’m not you, or I would not be getting laid.)

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Permalink
  28. Scott wrote:

    Best use of troll-spray/donate-button combo I’ve seen this year. Bravo.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Permalink
  29. Zoe wrote:

    De-lurking, because I must say: Right the fuck on, Sady. I love the way you do this shit.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink
  30. alisonrose wrote:

    Sady, you just totally gave me the good kind of feminist boner. This fucking wins forever.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Permalink
  31. Freddie wrote:

    [BONERS.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Permalink
  32. peli wrote:

    Sady you are Veronica fucking Mars!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink
  33. alisonrose wrote:

    “a little less charity and fairness than I might deserve”

    Uh. You basically told her that this blog she pours herself into is a big goofy pile of unserious crap and that she should be really ashamed of that and she’s hurting feminism because of it, and that you are UNIMPRESSED with her, as though that should matter one fucking bit.

    So no, you’re getting all the charity and fairness you deserve. Namely: none.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Permalink
  34. Jill wrote:

    I also love it when I use the wrong “elicit.” It was all the talk about boners, I guess.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Permalink
  35. Teaspoon wrote:

    The reason you aren’t getting very far, Freddie, is that first, you told Sady she was doing feminism wrong and that if she only moderated her tone, more people would listen to her. And then, when Sady got angry with you for that crap, you accused her of being emotional and tried to blackmail her into letting your additional anti-feminist crap stay on her site, and now you’ve started playing the martyr card.

    Just in case, you know, you really do need the 101 education, and aren’t just being a dick. In the former case, you really need to shut up and listen to what you’re being told and do some more reading, because you might have the potential to be a feminist, but you really, really aren’t there yet. In the latter case, Troll-B-Gon.

    In either case, Sady gets a payday, and you get mocked for being a dumbass.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Permalink
  36. B. wrote:

    I LOVE YOU, SADY FUCKING DOYLE

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Permalink
  37. Raina wrote:

    Hold up. Wait. First, feminists get scolded for being humorless and NOW one of the finest among us is telling too many jokes? My girlbrain simply cannot keep up. I’m going to have a lie down and a cup of tea. If, by the time I’ve recovered from my nervous excitement, the men could come to some sort of mutual understanding as to whether we need to be more or less funny, I’d appreciate it.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Permalink
  38. Amanda Hess wrote:

    I love that Freddie’s response to the idea that some guys creepily pretend to be feminists in order to get laid is to assert that because he is a feminist, we must fuck him or we are all hypocrites. Oh, how I long for Freddie to insert the Boner of Justice into this vague category known as “women,” in order for me to more properly understand the principles of equality and human liberation which inform and support feminism. Namely, boners.

    You owe me some jokes, Doyle.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Permalink
  39. smadin wrote:

    Because I do think it is the case that I am being read with a little less charity and fairness than I might deserve.

    Hm, let’s see….OK, I’ve just gone back and reread all your comments on this post and the previous one, and: nope. You’re being treated every bit as well as your conduct thus far deserves.

    But don’t worry, we’re all very impressed by your enormous cock calm, rational, unemotional, Very Serious use of bog-standard antifeminist concern-trolling tactics.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink
  40. Freddie wrote:

    [BONERS.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Permalink
  41. Sarah TX wrote:

    Quoting Freddie: “and I am willing to listen”

    You say this, and yet have you read Sady’s post, past the insults to your masculinity?

    SHE IS ENGAGING WITH YOUR CLAIM THAT SHE IS NOT A SERIOUS FEMINIST BECAUSE SHE TELLS JOKES.

    And yet, you continue to post comments that, to me, read as defensive “I am a good person! Look at me! I am not stooping to Sady’s level! Because I am rational AKA good AKA a man and she is emotional AKA bad AKA a woman!”

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Permalink
  42. katiemonstrrr wrote:

    Freddie, maybe you are not getting much charity because you called your self a feminist and in the next breath called Sady irrational, emotional, and insecure because you insulted her and she got angry about it. Did you ignore the part where I said that is a classic sexist technique? Sexist mansplaining =/= feminism. Check your privilege.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Permalink
  43. Freddie wrote:

    [BONERS.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Permalink
  44. Vee wrote:

    I mean, apart from the glorious takedown of idiot trolls, this:

    Here’s the thing: I’m a person who gets scared or sad or angry a lot. I feel these emotions very intensely. I’m a passionate person, and I’m also a person whose experience of the world has been, at times, almost unbearably hard.

    Yeah, fuck. I picked anger as my defense mechanism, so the things I write about Things That Happen To Women, well, they come out when I hit that particular stage of blinding fury or incredible sadness and I can’t keep it in anymore. But you, you make it easier, Sady.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Permalink
  45. Freddie wrote:

    [BONERS.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Permalink
  46. m. leblanc wrote:

    I didn’t say she wasn’t a serious feminist because she told jokes.

    Yeah, you did. You said she was “denying intellectual rigor. Come on now. The rest of us can read, too.

    Since you are still reading and you claim you are listening, let me tell you what is the number one problem with your comments and, as a matter of fact, all the posts on your blog. You come off as extremely, extremely, condescending. In basically everything you write.

    You might want to work on that. Until then, feminists aren’t going to want to listen to a word you say.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Permalink
  47. Shinobi wrote:

    1. Sady clearly wants to contribute to the broader conversation with jokes, because that is how she is choosing to do it. Your argument makes no sense. (Sady, a person, making deliberate choices who knew, women are people!)

    2. See #33

    3. If everyone is interpreting what you said differently from what you think you said then maybe the problem isn’t with everyone else. See also what you said in point #1 about her not contributing to the discourse of feminism correctly because she tells jokes, you make no sense.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Permalink
  48. Oriniwen wrote:

    I for reals made this face: :O when reading this post because I was absofuckinglutely BLOWN AWAY by the power of the Word of Sady Doyle. And then I hit DONATE and made this face: :*( because my PayPal it is broke. Do not worry! The BonerFund will be topped up when I get home and can get Mr. Ori to use his PayPal account of Boner Justice to give you the tiniest fraction of the accolade$ you deserve, Sady!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink
  49. thesciencegirl wrote:

    This blog post is pretty much what I have always wanted to say to smug white dudes who try to school me, as a WOC, on racism. Especially the part about him shutting the eff up. Amazing.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Permalink
  50. PrettyAmiable wrote:

    The irony, of course, being that if Sady didn’t tell jokes, she would be the “humorless feminist” we all know and love.

    Freddie, your contention was this: “Well, goof away, it’s the Internet, and it’s your dime, but understand that you are denying intellectual rigor when you do so.” She devoted an entire entry in response. If you choose to ignore it, stop being such a douche and saying that she’s ignoring you and your ideas. She’s clearly not. You’re just not getting what you want to hear.

    Oh noez, the women-folk aren’t falling all over you. Kiddo, maybe it’s you. Maybe you don’t have anything to offer. For example, all of your self-aggrandizing statements? They don’t really contribute to “intellectual rigor” either.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Permalink
  51. Freddie wrote:

    [BONERS.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Permalink
  52. Sarah TX wrote:

    Maybe the “problem” is that Sady’s blog, a lot of the time, is about inside baseball (to extend the Man Week Sports metaphors). This really isn’t 101 level shit. Maybe Freddie is getting confused because he wants us to be talking about, like, equal pay for equal work or, like, the most efficient way to throw off the shackles of heterosexuality, instead of complex, personal issues like “What does it mean to be a white feminist in a world where White women have it pretty good?”

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Permalink
  53. Sheelzebub wrote:

    Wait a sec. . .I thought we feminists didn’t have a sense of humor? Ohh–that’s right–we don’t. You’re not funny Sady because you hurt Freddy’s fee-fee’s. It’s better to post long, pretentious screeds that say nothing. Sort of like how Freddy does it.

    Ever notice how anti-feminist men (who claim to be feminists oppressed by women) troll feminist websites? I think it’s the only way they’ll ever get any female attention, ever.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink
  54. PJ wrote:

    Sady, Sady, Sady…don’t you realize that teh menz would take you seriously if you just didn’t get so emotional about silly things like violence and oppression and silencing and the ubiquity of sexism? You know, those things that you’ve experienced personally, as an individual and as a woman? Some of which Freddie is engaging in right now? If only you would remain rational, you and Freddie could be engaged, as we speak, in the Rational Feminist-Liberationist Boning he so richly deserves for being An Awesome Feminist Dood! Who wouldn’t want that?

    Oh, wait…I think I’m confusing “Rational Feminist-Liberationist Boning” with “applesauce”. I mean, you are right about that; who doesn’t love applesauce?

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Permalink
  55. katiemonstrrr wrote:

    OK, I will stop feeding the troll and instead express my heartfelt gratitude for all that you do, Sady. Your blog and ESPECIALLY THE JOKES help make all the bullshit more bearable.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Permalink
  56. B. wrote:

    Also: more like Freddie de BORE.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Permalink
  57. CJ wrote:

    Sady fucking Doyle has just become my favourite fucking person on the inter fucking nets.

    I AM MAKING [BONERLESS] FUCKING LOVE TO YOUR DONATIONS FUCKING BUTTON RIGHT NOW

    I am sorry for all the fucking but there is a lot of it going around in this post! (EXCEPT NOT FOR FREDDIE). I’m not really sorry! I only said that so I could emphasise all the NOT FUCKING that Freddie is totally getting! Ha ha!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Permalink
  58. Sarah TX wrote:

    NOT TO IMPLY that White women don’t also have it pretty bad.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Permalink
  59. Jinxie wrote:

    Also, Freddie, wtf does this even MEAN: “Meanwhile, I will engage in the ethical project of my life, which is the project of liberation, a project which I do not and will not ever ask for anyone’s permission to undertake.” ????
    I’m sure it’s just far too deep for my sad ladybrain to understand.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Permalink
  60. Tanya wrote:

    I have been reading Tiger Beatdown for a few months now, and to say that I pee a little from excitement every time there is a new post is not an exaggeration. Thanks for everything, especially this genius of a post, and I will donate what I can.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink
  61. Freddie wrote:

    [PURSUANT TO YOUR POST IN WHICH YOU REPEATEDLY REQUESTED THAT I "SHUT THE FUCK UP," I CONTINUE TO LEAVE COMMENTS. HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT MY BONERS?]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Permalink
  62. Dear Sady, I love you and your feminist jokes and your writing style even though it’s infectious and messes with writing software documentation if I read too much of you at a stretch. I’m in between paycheques right now, butI hereby promise to come back tomorrow, count the [BONER]s, and donate a dollar for each one.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Permalink
  63. Annaham wrote:

    Or you can censor, and flip out, and continue to police your space against any kind of constructive criticism.

    BE RIGHT BACK, DYING OF LAUGHTER.

    Nothing makes me laugh harder than the “CENSORSHIP!!11″ card.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Permalink
  64. PJ wrote:

    Oh, geez. A comment from the original post that spawned this:

    —-

    Dora wrote:

    Tonight on the internet: a feminist is accused of having too much of a sense of humor. Wonders never cease.

    Thanks for pointing that out, Dora. I didn’t even think of that. Now we can not only have our points of view devalued for being “humorless,” but also for the “defense mechanism” of having a sense of humor. AWESOME.

    Sady, thanks for doing exactly what you do. I’m paying my bills tomorrow and then donating to the Tiger Beatdown Joke Drive.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Permalink
  65. Wickedday wrote:

    I have read TB and worshipped Sady from afar for a LONG TIME! But today I registered specifically to comment because I have wanted to say (approximately) the above to many, MANY people, and never could. Thanks Sady.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink
  66. Chocolate Tort wrote:

    Jill linked to this in her Google Buzz, and I am so glad she did. Today seems to be the Day That Chocolate Tort Reads About Terrible Rape Happenings, so this is a wonderful, hilarious, relate-able palate cleanser. This is some quality (well…) mansplaining and some much higher quality feminist rage. Now I have to investigate this blog to read more of Sady’s Feminist Rage and Inappropriate Jokes because those are two of my favorite things in the world!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Permalink
  67. Lisa A. wrote:

    In Freddie’s defense, everybody knows that REAL feminists are humorless, hairy, and can’t get laid. I can see why the jokes would make him think you’re Doing Feminism Wrong.

    Hitting the “donate” button now.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Permalink
  68. Evan Harper wrote:

    [WE STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH FREDDIE'S BONERS AGAINST THOSE WHO WOULD SILENCE THEM. AN INJURY TO ONE OF FREDDIE'S BONERS IS AN INJURY TO ALL OUR BONERS!]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Permalink
  69. erica wrote:

    Poor, poor Freddie and his poor, poor oppressed boners.

    While “Meanwhile, I will engage in the ethical project of my life, which is the project of liberation” did make me giggle, the following comments made me literally fall out of my chair with laughter. I needed that today. Thank you so much :)

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Permalink
  70. Mary wrote:

    Several things:
    1) RE: Freddie’s original comment: I am currently a grad student at a fairly Big Deal program, and OH MY GOODNESS I am so starved for jokes some days that I want to gnaw my arm off for comic effect. I read this blog because, people, I have seen the face of intellectual discourse without humor and it is NOT PRETTY. So, yeah. Continue with the humor, Sady Fuckin’ Doyle!
    1.5) And can I just say how infuriating the “humor = unintelligent or unintellectual” attitude is? Give me a fucking break, Freddie.
    2) Much as I do enjoy Freddie’s [BONERS] repeated over and over again, I kind of want to see what he’s saying. I figure, there are two sides to this: on the one hand, Sady, it is your blog, and you get to decide what kinds of discourse are appropriate and what aren’t.

    On the other hand, though, when you can’t hear the other side of the comments section, it kind of sounds like we’re picking on him.

    On the third hand, that “leave my comment up if you value free speech” comment, coming on top of the rest of it, was maybe all I needed to hear.

    On the fourth hand (?), I’d kind of rather make my own decisions about whether he’s a douche.

    On the last hand (I promise), I guess I can go to Freddie’s blog my very own self if I want to.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Permalink
  71. Sarah wrote:

    The best part of finding this comment thread late is:

    Freddie wrote:
    [Boners]

    repeated throughout despite the fact that laughing makes me less of a feminist because it might give me wrinkles that could possibly make me less attractive to [Boners] and obviously that is a fate worse than death.

    [Boners]

    Also, when I am on secure ‘nets, I am giving you money for this.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink
  72. MissaA wrote:

    Freddy,

    What the hell wasn’t coherent about that? Work on your reading comprehension, dude.

    You are not a feminist. You do not accuse a woman of lacking “rationality” and of “emotionalism” while being a feminist. You clearly have no clue about feminism or women’s experiences.

    “is there any way I can fix things?”

    Did you read the post? Shut up and listen!

    Also
    [BONERS]
    So. Funny.

    SADY YOU ARE MY IDOL!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Permalink
  73. Oh, and when I say I’ll count the [BONER]s, I mean I’ll count Freddie’s comments, not, necessarily the number of times “boner” appears in this comment thread, because I’m not that rich, yo.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Permalink
  74. Geek wrote:

    <3 you as of today Sady. You are getting dropped into my daily RSS reading regime.

    <3 <3 <3 (found you via feministe just now!)

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink
  75. B Michael wrote:

    I really am not. It feels too masturbatory to comment on this site, really–especially about this. But this is like the greatest opening line of a blog post I have ever in my entire life -ever- read. It’s the ‘Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way’ of opening blog sentences:

    “This dialogue from Tiger Beatdown says a lot of things about the edifice of Internet feminism and some of its complicated, occasionally self-defeating attitudes towards men”

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Permalink
  76. Gembird wrote:

    Oh my good god, Sady. I haven’t commented here before but seriously. That was TOTALLY AWESOME.

    I get this kind of mansplaining comment whenever I write or even engage with what others have written. I get pretty angry about it and of course get called irrational even though in their next paragraph they’re all “Oh you are a lady scientist, ladies cannot Do Science so you are not a lady because sicence is about logical thinking and that’s what you do for money”.

    So thanks. And sorry for my rambling. I guess what I meant is that now I won’t be afraid to just be mean.

    Also MOAR JOKES

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Permalink
  77. Crito wrote:

    Sometimes, a troll is just a troll, even if he doesn’t realize he’s a troll.

    Successful troll is successful.

    [BONERS.]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Permalink
  78. thetroubleis wrote:

    Oh, wow. Sady is rad as hell.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Permalink
  79. Farore wrote:

    Hmm, Freddie. I think you should read this important guide to commenting on TigerBeatdown: http://birdofparadox.wordpress.com/derailing-for-dummies-google-cache-reconstruction/

    I see you’ve already learned the proper usage of “You’re Being Hostile”, “But That Happens To Me Too”, “You’re Being Overemotional”, “Don’t You Have More Important Issues To Think About”, “You’re Not Being Intellectual Enough”, “Your Experience Is Not Representative Of Everyone”, “You’re Not Being A Team Player”, “You’ve Lost Your Temper So I Don’t Have To Listen To You Anymore”, and “You’re Damaging Your Cause By Being Angry”. I suggest you work on some fun and interesting new commenting tactics, like maybe “Surprise! I Was Playing The Devil’s Advocate All Along!” or “If You Won’t Educate Me How Will I Learn?” Then you can REALLY get your super-important point across. Great mansplaining, btw! You are my newest hero. I want to grow up to be JUST LIKE YOU!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Permalink
  80. Farore wrote:

    Also, Sady: I have donated approximately 1/1,000,000th of how much I don’t care about Freddie’s Boners, but unfortunately I do not have the rest of the amount. I hope you will accept the token, at least.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Permalink
  81. Last time the tip jar was set out, I was offline for a week and missed it and I was sad. This time around I have definitely stuffed a small token in there in recognition of a) my esteem for Sady fuckin’ Doyle and b) how much I don’t care about Freddie’s boners.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink
  82. Seriously I cannot believe how often the “YOU ARE NOT BEING SRS ENOUGH FEMINISTS STOP HAVING FUN >:[” things gets trotted out. It’s true; I do learn more when I enjoy myself. Which is why I end up reading Tiger Beatdown more often than some blogs with fewer jokes. After a while, this stuff gets hard, and I much prefer laughing at the absurdity and sarcasm to be wrung from all of it than to just weep and never stop or fly into a destructive rage. Frankly, those are my only options. And the kicker is, since I’m a human woman, and not, say, a Vulcan, THESE ARE ALL THE WRONG REACTION for sexist jerks like Freddie because they are based in emotion.

    PROTIP FOR ANYONE READING THIS AND AGREEING WITH FREDDIE: If I am looking out for dudes to date and have the sex with, I will, in fact, be actively seeking one who is feminist. I will not judge this on how loudly you can yell “I AM A FEMINIST MAN, LOVE ME,” but by your actions and the positions you take in discussions on such things. CRAZY, I KNOW.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Permalink
  83. MaryAnn wrote:

    If I had a nickel for every time a dude (usually a self-described “humanist”, who was likely interested in something close to Freddie’s version of “liberation” and “equality”) told me to be rational and logical when I got upset and talked loudly about feminism and oppressions, I would be a very, very rich individual. I am glad we have people like Freddie to tell us that we cannot be upset and passionate about things like this that impact our every waking moment. Thanks, Freddie. I am glad you exist to put us hysterics in our rightful place.

    I feel good about this donation. Thanks for giving me this opportunity, Sady.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Permalink
  84. Deirdre wrote:

    I’m a fairly young, extremely feminist trans woman trying to figure out my place in the world and my thoughts on everything. At one point I started the idea of a blog to track the evolution of this, but here’s what I realized:

    After seven or so years of working on all of this, and reading everything I can find, all I have really learned about speaking my own thoughts is that I need to Shut The Fuck Up for about another seven, while I continue reading everything and learning and thinking. Then I might have something to say.

    I mention this because of, well, this post. And that some of us do really get it. Sady, I’ve been reading your blog for over a year now, and love your work and that of Amanda Hess and so many other excellent ladybloggers. I am honoured to be able to send some money your way, which I will do this weekend (am currently on a train, so accessing the banking system is a bit hard). Thank you for continuing to do what you do: this applesauce has the best flavour I’ve tried yet.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Permalink
  85. GM wrote:

    Wow, saw this tweeted on pandagon & it’s awesome. That’s the best troll smackdown since Teresa Nielsen Hayden de-vowelled anything or since John Scalzi pulled out the LOVING MALLET OF CORRECTION.

    First of all, Freddie, you’re making the real male feminists look bad. Secondly, TOO MANY WORDS! For cryin out loud man, pick up yer Strunk & White. Thirdly, seriously? You’re telling someone else how they should style their blog? Oh noes! Tigerbeatdown won’t be taken seriously because they make jokes! (And *no one* who writes for a conservative magazine ought to be lecturing anyone on seriousness. Your movement spawned Jonah Freaking Goldberg, for God’s sake.)

    All right I’m done. Definitely bookmarking this site. Also, “Fig. 3: Man Yelling” is the best caption ever.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Permalink
  86. RebeccaS wrote:

    The thing that galls me about [BONERS]‘ assertions is that if you try to talk about feminism or gender issues WITHOUT the jokes, then you’re one of “those humorless harpies” who suddenly everyone feels like they can’t “just relax” around. I’m a woman in IT — i.e. a woman in a largely male field, and the only woman in my department — and this is something I’m *very* aware of when I am trying to figure out a way to call my coworkers or bosses on the occasional sexist misstep.

    So then Sady brings some humor to the discussion and now it’s not sufficiently intellectual discourse? Do you see the “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” aspect here, Freddie?

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Permalink
  87. eastsidekate wrote:

    OMFG, I can’t get my next paycheck soon enough. Not only do I love Tiger Beatdown, but I also love this bi-month’s cause.

    Also, since Freddie is still reading in hopes of having someone praise his boner, while I am a lady feminist who doesn’t like boners at all, I am really good friends with some people who get boners. In your case, Freddie, I am the kind of friend who points at you and laughs while contemplating the wasting of space by you.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Permalink
  88. Angela wrote:

    I FUCKING LOVE YOU SADY DOYLE. THIS POST. FOREVER.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Permalink
  89. bettyblack wrote:

    Sady, your sense of humor, power, and self isn’t applesauce; it’s chocolate pudding!!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Permalink
  90. Kate wrote:

    Sorry, would have commented sooner but I was busy donating $100 to the The We Don’t Care About Freddie’s Boners Foundation.

    Found you via Feministe. Love, love, love.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Permalink
  91. jess wrote:

    Hi Sady.

    I sort of wish I’d learned to handle my Shit by being funny-it seems much more functional than my learned method, which is to cry and play video games. =p

    Your righteous rage is, indeed, righteous. But I’m still really sorry you needed to write this.

    Um, hug?

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Permalink
  92. jess wrote:

    Also, [BONERS]

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Permalink
  93. Dio wrote:

    Sady, I would love to donate, as I truly enjoy your blog and look forward to your posts. But is there any way you could reconfigure your Paypal setup so one doesn’t *have* to either have a Paypal account or set one up in order to donate to you? I use Paypal all the time without needing an account, but every so often I run into a setup, like yours, that simply won’t allow it. I’ve had really infuriating/frustrating issues w/ Paypal customer service in the past which means I do not ever want to create another account with them if at all possible!

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Permalink
  94. jessilikewhoa wrote:

    I followed the link here from Feministe earlier, and was going to tell Freddie that he is the most boring person in the history of the universe. But. He bored me so hard I fell into a temporary coma.

    Now I’m awake, and I like Freddie way better since Sady replaced all his comments with [BONERS.} I am no longer bored, but rather amused.

    Hooray for funny feminists! Boo to boring mansplainers.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Permalink
  95. pinkpillsanity wrote:

    I think the best part is how you have replaced Freddie’s responses with [BONER].

    And this is why you’re my favorite blog on the internet right now.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Permalink
  96. Ellen wrote:

    Just found this blog today, instantly fell in love with Sady Doyle, and now in the process of donating as much as possible to the “Down with Freddie’s Boners Fund.” Totally fucking worth it. Am forever favoriting this blog.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Permalink
  97. Colleen wrote:

    Woooooo! *Standing O*

    I donated a paltry token of my enormous affection. Please continue telling jokes and eviscerating [BONER] dude and people like him, and whatever the fuck else you feel like doing.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink
  98. Bai Li wrote:

    @48 (Crito)
    That defies the exact definition of troll – someone who is KNOWINGLY acting like a jackass with the SOLE PURPOSE of pissing people off. Sadly, Freddie is just fucking stupid.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Permalink
  99. Mel wrote:

    HEAVEN FORBID a feminist make JOKES. No, feminists must be VERY SERIOUS at all times or assholes will never take us seriously.

    Wait, do they ever anyway?

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 11:22 pm | Permalink
  100. whitty wrote:

    I totally agree that the jokes absolutely make this blog. I do read more serious feminist blogs, but sometimes, I’m just not in the mood to be saddened or angered by serious feminist discourse, so they sit in my Google Reader until I am in that mood (sometimes that is a good long while). I do not have this problem here. Tiger Beatdown is like jello. There is always room for Tiger Beatdown.

    I will also be contributing what little I can to keep the jokes coming.

    Friday, April 9, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Permalink
  101. TheDeviantE wrote:

    Oh Sady, our friend Freddie seems to have made you some money. I guess technically it was your Awesome Writing that made you the money, but it was definitely also my Not Caring about Freddie’s Boners that got you it, so… awesome!

    Freddie: I find it interesting that it seems you keep typing words and yet all I see is [LOOK AT MY BONER!], perhaps you should get this looked into by someone?, Someone who perhaps cares more than Sady and all the rest of us?

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 12:41 am | Permalink
  102. Jaded16 wrote:

    Ah Freddie – I’ve met a zillion of you. No matter how big/important you think your boners are let’s just clear this – they are not. Just so we’re clear. Also, get off Sady’s lawn. She doesn’t need any more vermin.

    @ Sady – I heard this “joke” a few months ago – Q) Why can’t women be funny? A) Because they never had to be – from a Freddie-esque person. That pissed me off so much that I registered that night on WordPress setting out to write a humour blog.
    Nothing pissed him off more than that.

    Also, I see Freddie is commenting ritually with his special . You know you are doing something right when a person is COMPELLED to bring out his . Heh.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 12:48 am | Permalink
  103. Jaded16 wrote:

    Hey I wrote “boners” in inverted commas, they are not showing :(

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 12:49 am | Permalink
  104. Geek wrote:

    Sadly my previous comment has not shown up (trying a different email address) – anyway I <3 your site and just discovered it today because of this post. (today west coast US time)

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 1:39 am | Permalink
  105. Hendrik wrote:

    [WE STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH FREDDIE'S BONERS AGAINST THOSE WHO WOULD DENY THEM. THEY CAN TAKE OUR BONERS, BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE: OUR BONNNERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!]

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 1:48 am | Permalink
  106. I hope my donation goes toward a fat 20 sack, madame! You are the greatest.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 2:10 am | Permalink
  107. P.S. I caved and checked out monsieur’s blog! Oh boy Oberto…what a WEENIE that man be!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 2:16 am | Permalink
  108. Robert W. Jones wrote:

    Well, I’m not a feminist nor do I care about feminist issues, but I like the way you write. Good flow, easy to follow, descriptive. Good work.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:23 am | Permalink
  109. Sanditon wrote:

    But make no mistake, the fact that you are so incapable of actually engaging rationally– that you post with such obvious insecurity, emotionalism, and spite, rather than anything resembling a coherent argument– that, ultimately, undermines what you will accomplish for feminism.

    Blah blah blah, tone arguments piss me the fuck off. Yes, Sady is angry and jokes about it! Why? Because Freddy is being a jerk and a dumbass!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:25 am | Permalink
  110. Geerte wrote:

    Sady, you clearly fail. Don’t you realize the feminists are supposed to be HUMORLESS. You are confusing his little man brains.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 4:36 am | Permalink
  111. Amelia wrote:

    What I never got was, how Freddie claims that he values Tiger Beatdown and wants to give constructive criticism, and then he’s all like “hey! Change the essential reason so many people read this blog, because it’s funny and it addresses issues! and that is bad, because funny things aren’t serious!”.
    Which isn’t really constructive. It’s more like “I’m a dude feminist, I know everything because I’m well read BECOME ME. BE MY BLOG. RAAAAARGH”
    (because his blog is so good, that’s why people have heard of Freddie.)
    Also, I tried to read both of his posts that were on his blog, that were about this blog through, so I could call him an idiot in a justified manner. It took me literally.. an hour. Because it wasn’t very entertaining. It was all dry and unfunny like.

    oh yeah, and then you’re all like “on a human level, it’s tough being made fun of”

    Hey dude, on a human level, and funnily enough, I am human, so I can relate, I really like to laugh, because jokes enrich my human fucking life.

    Also, seriously, did you actually say this?
    “the edifice of Internet feminism and some of its complicated, occasionally self-defeating attitudes towards men.”

    Yes, yes you did.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 7:17 am | Permalink
  112. PhryneF wrote:

    [BONERS.]

    LOVE IT.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 7:31 am | Permalink
  113. Courtney wrote:

    Wow. This, lady, was absolutely amazing. The Goddess of Snark has truly smiled upon you. I’m so glad I followed the link from Feministe. I’m low on cash until my paycheck next week, but you can bet your jokes I will be donating then!

    You are absolutely right. The best way to deal with a mansplaining troll is to point and laugh.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:11 am | Permalink
  114. Anna Dee wrote:

    Delurking and donating – as thanks for the ongoing awesomeness!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:27 am | Permalink
  115. elne wrote:

    i donated eighteen australian dollars, so i think i get sixteen and five/eighths of jokes?

    LMFAO’ing re; [BONERS]

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 9:37 am | Permalink
  116. Wanda wrote:

    “Now, I’m Sady fucking Doyle. Of Tiger fucking Beatdown.”

    Is your overinflated ego a joke too or are you serious about this?

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:31 am | Permalink
  117. Jesse wrote:

    Thanks to Google I discovered why this whole shebang started. Over a “This what a Feminist looks like” t-shirt and Freddie’s hurt feelings.

    I have a theory. I bet Freddie once wore that t-shirt to a feminist function. While he is a Good Guy Feminist (TM), he couldn’t admit that he just want some feminist chick to treat his Boner with RESPECT. But that didn’t happen. And then someone makes a JOKE about it, and Freddie realizes what he was actually TRYING to do and is quite angry about it. Angry that someone exposed his type of thinking.

    C’est la vie. Jokes are funny.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:42 am | Permalink
  118. Gayle Force wrote:

    I am laughing aloud at the [BONERS].

    Because you know Freddie and his [BONERS] would also try to hit on you, if you were being a Serious Feminist, with the usual Nice Guy (TM) “Why do you never smile! You are too serious, silly lady! Smile and please me, as I verbally assault you with my lofty goals of humanism and being as ass!” thing, and then you would have to resist the strong urge to knee him in his [BONER.]

    Sady, I have negative money right now, but I will give when I can! I heart this place so hard.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:44 am | Permalink
  119. Lee Brimmicombe-Wood wrote:

    I love the spectacle of watching a pompous conservative get pwned. (Was he some kind of self-styled libertarian? I didn’t quite catch his angle.) Anyway, that was worth some dollars. I shall shut up now.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:58 am | Permalink
  120. Ami wrote:

    I love that he totally ignores all of your incredibly rational points and then says that you are incapable of making a case because of your “emotionalism.” If THAT isn’t a total cop-out-tail-between-his-legs sexist irrational kind of response, I don’t know what is.

    It’s really an old anti-feminist, anti-woman, anti-every-marginalized-group debate “tactic” to discredit and belittle the actual opinions presented, without bringing anything of substance to the table.

    I wish I could have donated more to the honorable foundation.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink
  121. attica wrote:

    Jokes are the single most powerful weapon, ever.

    I once read about a survey done. Hundreds of women were asked why they feared men. The answers broke down among three: We’re afraid men will beat us, rape us, kill us.

    Next, hundreds of men were asked why they feared women. The answers didn’t break down at all. There was only one: We’re afraid women will laugh at us.

    And there, my friends, you have the proof. Jokes are more powerful than beatings, rape, & murder.

    GO SADY!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink
  122. RMJ wrote:

    [FURIOUS BONERS]

    [ENTITLED BONERS]

    HELL yes. To jokes, and to tippin’, and to boners that don’t expect to be praised for their feminism.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Permalink
  123. MsFeasance wrote:

    I cannot stop laughing. Just as the #MensStudiesProfessors on Twitter kept me in stitches, so did this.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Permalink
  124. maggie wrote:

    Fuckin’ A! My donation in no way relates to how much you deserve to take away the bozo’s boners, but you have some more money at least!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Permalink
  125. Sady wrote:

    @Wanda: Oh, no. I’m dead serious about liking myself. My theory is, ladies aren’t supposed to? So, again, I do it (a) because I want to and (b) to piss you off.

    @Robert: Would you like some more delicious applesauce?

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink
  126. Brennan wrote:

    Wow. I’ve been following this blog for a few months but I’ve always kind of wondered what would happen if Sady got really fuckin’ pissed off. Now I know, and it is fuckin’ epic. And God Herself approves. Never stop.

    Can’t donate to the Deny Freddie Boners fund, unfortunately, but as soon as I am marginally less broke (i.e. no longer considering egg or organ donation as a source of funding) you will owe me some jokes.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Permalink
  127. Erin wrote:

    @Wanda

    I just knew someone was going to comment on that statement. How dare a woman have self confidence! We must crush this self-confidence immediately! With snide remarks, because we are still insecure middle schoolers apparently.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Permalink
  128. maggie wrote:

    Sady, you fucking damn well should be proud of yourself! I know YOU know that, but I’ll say it for the Freddies out there.

    Being proud of accomplishments: not just for men anymore!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Permalink
  129. Maud wrote:

    Oh, thank ye, jaysus. I was holding my breath all the way through the first 63 comments because, despite the powerful righteousness of this post, I was afraid that the sheer, unremitting intellectual feminist force that is [BONERS] might finally overcome the emotionally-constructed edifice of Sady’s feminism and cause her to self-defeat her complicated jokiness, and then we would all be compelled to revert to humorless feminism and never laugh again.

    But it is alright, now! Because Robert W. Jones has given Sady’s writing, complete with jokes, a solid B+, maybe even an A-. So with that totally necessary and called for bit of manly approval, Sady can carry on writing, and making much-needed jokes. Because without the comic relief provided by [BONERS] and such, discussing, much less living with, the issues that real, non-[BONERS] feminists like Sady address can actually be a tad grim and wearisome over the long haul.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Permalink
  130. Samantha b. wrote:

    @Jess, you’re welcome on the feminists who like themselves train, too. Crying and video games are not at all dysfunctional ways to cope. As someone with only one foot on the feminists who like themselves train, I can tell you that there are much worse ways to cope. But if I were to get a seat on said train, I think there would be room for lots of jokes and tears and videogames and whatever the hell else we fucking felt like.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Permalink
  131. Jenthing wrote:

    I don’t care about Freddie’s boners, and I vote!

    Honk if you don’t care about Freddie’s boners!

    In case of Rapture, I still won’t care about Freddie’s boners!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink
  132. vertigo29 wrote:

    Sady, there is a special place in my heart for you. :)

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Permalink
  133. 01d55 wrote:

    And neither you nor your various Serious Theory Friends nor God himself nor ANYTHING short of my own unexpected and sudden death in a car accident can fucking stop me.

    I take this sentence to mean that if you were to suddenly and unexpectedly be struck dead by a meteorite, you would just jump out of the grave and tell jokes anyway; but if it’s a car accident well you my as well just not get out of bed in the morning.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Permalink
  134. wembley wrote:

    [BONERS] is the new disemvoweling. Please come to Canada and gay marry me, Sady. You’re awesome.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Permalink
  135. Dust_Buster wrote:

    “If this condition (i.e. Freddie) persists for more than 4 hours, please: discontinue use and seek medical attention immediately.”

    Freddie makes me flaccid.

    Freddie = birth control.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  136. latinist wrote:

    Holy shit, this is an awesome post. Freddie’s internet presence is almost made worthwhile by the fact that he inadvertently caused this post to be written.

    Also, why has no one truly engaged with the rational subtleties of the Aristotelian* logic of Freddie’s transplendent imagery: truly your blog is an edifice, and the edifice has a platform on top of it (it’s scaffolding, because they’re still working on construction of the edifice), and the platform somehow has paws (perhaps because the construction workers involved in building this edifice are bears, but I admit that Freddie may have gone beyond my mortal understanding here), which it uses to paw at discourse, which is located somewhere above the edifice’s platform (perhaps hanging from a higher edifice). It all makes sense now!

    *That’s “Aristotelian” not so much in the sense of “like a brilliant philosopher,” but rather “like a repulsive misogynist.”

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Permalink
  137. krismcn wrote:

    Doesn’t he know that Tiger Beatdown is the Skittles of feminism, not the mother fucking brussel sprouts of feminism?? Apparently, Freddie thinks he has the brussel sprouts of boners, too.

    I’m crushing on you so hard Sady fucking Doyle! I missed the last tip jar, but not this one, lady!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink
  138. Rene wrote:

    [BONERS]. We must feed Freddie’s [BONERS]

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Permalink
  139. La Chica Lucy wrote:

    Sady Fucking Doyle, I love you so! This post will gone in history as one of the most epic Internet Troll Beatdowns, eva! If I had two dimes to rub together, I would gladly donate them to this most glorious of all causes.

    According to his blog, Freddie is “non-interventionist non-religious non-atheist non-socialist non-capitalist romantic existentialist.”

    Shorter Version: Freddie is a fucking idiot.

    Even Shorter Version: [BONERS.]

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Permalink
  140. La Chica Lucy wrote:

    Er, that should be “go down” in History. Sorry, the stupidity must have rubbed off on me as I typed Freddie’s pathetic description of himself.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Permalink
  141. snobographer wrote:

    Ironically, these comment threads are probably the most action [BONERS] has seen in a long time. Not that I’m criticizing. I’m totally a sucker for a good round of whack-a-troll.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Permalink
  142. Wanda wrote:

    There is a difference between liking yourself and having self confidence, and being narcissistic.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Permalink
  143. snobographer wrote:

    STFU, Wanda.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Permalink
  144. Erin wrote:

    Seconding Snobographer.

    Why do you have a problem with someone else’s confidence, Wanda? Try to like yourself more, and it will bother you less!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Permalink
  145. MsFeasance wrote:

    Thirding Snobographer and Erin. The level of lacking-self-awareness required to employ a centuries-old silencing technique–to wit, “you’re getting too confident and uppity”–is astounding.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Permalink
  146. smadin wrote:

    According to his blog, Freddie is “non-interventionist non-religious non-atheist non-socialist non-capitalist romantic existentialist.”

    Hey, wow, what a coincidence, I own a copy of Rush’s Roll The Bones too!

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Permalink
  147. jess wrote:

    @Samantha B. Awww, thanks. =p I like me and my overly-emotional, drive-by-internet-hugging self, but I still can’t help but be a little in awe of people who can turn pain into jokes-esp. when the jokes are actually really funny!

    They are a gift, like what ministers are supposed to be, you know? Giving you a path to deal that both insulates and comforts and gives release.

    I discovered this blog because of a recap Sady did of Dollhouse. I think I read all her archives. Tiger Beatdown is one of the most readable, accessible (I think that’s a good thing) feminist blogs on the internet. And I’ve followed her other stuff at Feministe and, I think, even on Broadsheet for awhile, yeah?
    I am a BONER-fied Sady fangirl, now. (See what I did there? HAR! So clever. Ahem. Back to the video games. =p)

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Permalink
  148. PrettyAmiable wrote:

    Oh really, Wanda? And you get to draw the line unilaterally? Because I’m pretty sure saying “THIS IS ME, THIS IS MY SPACE” isn’t narcissistic. It not being to your liking is not how Noah defined narcissism. Kthxbye.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Permalink
  149. PharaohKatt wrote:

    Here from Feministe. This post and the comments had me laughing so hard.

    OMG! We must free Freddie’s boners from the ebul oppressing boner-killers!!

    You totally rock.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Permalink
  150. Jess wrote:

    Hey all…don’t worry, just don’t pay any mind to this Freddie character (who, when I checked out his blogspot, appeared to be wearing a straitjacket in his profile shot – it wasn’t, but I thought it looked appropriate) and hopefully he’ll dry up and blow away. He is setting us up to freak out and that’s exactly what he wants. I think his blog is hilarious and if you look at it as a parody, it’s like reading an episode of MadTV.

    Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Permalink
  151. Nomie wrote:

    And here I thought it was a play on Amanda Palmer and her originally self-deprecating but now pretty overwhelmingly egotistic habit of referring to herself as Amanda Fucking Palmer.

    But Sady Fucking Doyle is, in fact, fucking awesome.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 12:35 am | Permalink
  152. Squeem wrote:

    Totally in love with this post. And, I might add, I am totally in love with the censorship of people who Just Don’t Get It, considering how hard they’re trying to censor the righteous anger that is this post. Keep it up, Sady fucking Doyle!

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 2:47 am | Permalink
  153. gogo wrote:

    [BONER] THWARTERS, all of you!

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 4:55 am | Permalink
  154. OuyangDan wrote:

    OMCC I swear I miss the best stuff since you made the Oh So Sad adult decision and closed your tumblr…

    If this post isn’t the #1 hit on Google for “boners” I don’t think we are trying hard enough.

    And fuck off, I “damn I wish I had a quarter of Sady fucking Doyle’s self confidence”.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 6:02 am | Permalink
  155. Also, they don’t feel like someone just had to shove a pill down their throats. We sneak it into the applesauce instead. Who doesn’t like applesauce, really?

    My sister hates applesauce for that very reason. Throughout her early childhood, my parents fed her her foul-tasting leukemia meds mixed in applesauce.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 9:51 am | Permalink
  156. Sady wrote:

    @Robin: Awwwww, I’m sorry.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 10:07 am | Permalink
  157. Dan wrote:

    The edited posts are absolutely hilarious.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 11:33 am | Permalink
  158. SKM wrote:

    I’m laughing all anew upon re-reading Freddie’s words:
    But as I am a feminist whose feminism is not a product of feeling obliged to any particular women or to some vague category called “women,” but rather to the principles of equality and human liberation which inform and support feminism,

    His feminism isn’t about actual real women, got it? Also, feminism that considers actual real individual women is not about equality, it’s just about “feeling obliged” to “women”. Whatever that means. I suspect it’s another way of saying “pussywhipped”.

    *wipes away tears of laughter, stirs up home-made chocolate pudding for Robin’s sister*

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 11:42 am | Permalink
  159. Infodyke wrote:

    This reminds me of that time David Krum came on Rachel Maddow’s show and deviated from the pre-interview because he wanted to pretend he was there to talk about Afghanistan (IIRC), and then said Rachel was harming the discourse by not being serious enough. As I recall, the takedown the next night was epic, but still not quite as epic as this.

    tl;dr: this is made of win.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Permalink
  160. Freddie's BONER wrote:

    Just a note to inform you that I, Freddie’s [BONER] have left him. He’s a big enough dick without me, handsome and functional though I may be.

    The turning point was when I realized that every time [BONER] appeared in a comment, it’d happen again… Freddie’s hand slipping beneath the elastic for a quick stroke or two. I mean, Ewww!

    In disassociating myself from Freddie, I wish to make it know to all, for all time, that I don’t hang around with pompous pricks.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Permalink
  161. Trifling wrote:

    Sady, I love you and you win the internet. Off to make donation now. Wish it could be more.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Permalink
  162. Alexandra wrote:

    Aww, Robert gave you a complimant!

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink
  163. ElectraSteph wrote:

    There may be a difference between being self-confident and being narcissistic — but Sady is in fact more awesome than she realizes. She’s being quite modest, actually. Sit down “Wanda” and read along for awhile – you’ll see.

    I agree – Sady does win the internet. This is my favoritest blog post ever.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Permalink
  164. ElectraSteph wrote:

    Also, I want to thank Shinobi for the phrase “4 person douche canoe.” I promise to give you credit the next eleventy-hundred times I use that phrase.

    Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Permalink
  165. Amber Rhea wrote:

    Donated… this post is RIGHTEOUS.

    LOVE.

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 2:19 am | Permalink
  166. Bakka wrote:

    The comment he makes in the third point reminds me of this comic. Very classy, and oh-so feminist.

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 7:30 am | Permalink
  167. Andrew wrote:

    I think what sticks in my craw about all of this is the sexualization of men’s perceived motives. Do you really think all guys are just trying to get laid?

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Permalink
  168. carmanah wrote:

    Sady, i feel you perfectly crystallise the angry thoughts vaugely floating around many lady people’s heads when absolute fucking douches like this freddie kid start up with their bullshit, except unlike me you are able to express it much more eloquently than ‘erm…fuck you’. Your tirade was righteous!! I love what you do- reading your blog is starting to give me the words to put guys like this where they belong. You’re an inspiration dude!

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Permalink
  169. octopod wrote:

    ::speechless, applauds::

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Permalink
  170. Sady wrote:

    @Andrew: I’m so fucking tired of getting this question that I’m publishing your comment specifically so that I can have an answer on record. Freddie MADE IT ABOUT THE DATES, by writing that he wondered what Amanda and I would be like, ON A DATE. The thought of sexualizing Freddie would not otherwise have crossed my mind. And a quick search of “feminism” on his blog reveals that ALL BUT ONE of his posts about it (the ones that aren’t about me) are about dating women, worrying that women won’t date him, or worrying that women aren’t attracted to certain types of men. FREDDIE MADE IT ABOUT DATING. FREDDIE MADE IT ABOUT SEX. I just read his post and pointed out the obvious. And now am getting blamed for it, and being told that my views of Freddie reflect my views of “all guys.”

    Freddie, by the way, also MADE IT ABOUT “ALL GUYS,” by assuming to speak for “all guys” or trying to cloak his very obvious self-interest in terms of a conversation about “men” in the feminist movement. Whereas I have, very clearly, and very publicly, both published and praised men. This isn’t hard to find out: There are literally three fucking examples of it, on the front page of this blog, from the last week alone. Freddie acted as if my response to Freddie WAS ABOUT ALL MEN, blatantly defying the public, published, clearly visible, OBVIOUS EVIDENCE THAT CLEARLY DISPROVED HIS STATEMENTS, and you and other commenters followed suit. So, again, in all-caps: IT WAS CLEARLY NOT ABOUT ALL MEN. BECAUSE I WORK WITH, AND LIKE, SEVERAL MEN. We are about to publish news of the two new people we’ve hired, and, SPOILER: THEY ARE BOTH MEN. Bringing us to a total staff head count of four people, two women, and two men. The gender makeup of our staff IS LITERALLY FUCKING EXACTLY EQUALLY COMPOSED OF WOMEN AND MEN, at this point.

    And there is no point in my even typing out this comment, and telling you you’re wrong. Because you didn’t read the post where I addressed exactly this question, in detail, and you are probably going to misread or not read this comment, and you are probably going to act as if I haven’t said any of this, and to ignore the evidence against you, and to talk about how I am “sexualizing” “all guys.” Whereas I am literally, clearly, obviously speaking about one guy, Freddie, using evidence from Freddie’s work. To assume that Freddie stands in for men, or stands for men, or represents all men, is AN INSULT TO MEN. Not that any of the male commenters who have chimed in to defend him seem to have taken notice of this fact.

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Permalink
  171. April G. wrote:

    Wow, Sady. This is awe inspiring. I am adopting this as my motto: “I made myself who I am today, and she’s a pretty fucking great lady to be.”

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Permalink
  172. Ishtar wrote:

    Can I just say? This is one of the single most awesome blog posts I’ve read in a very long time.

    Sady, you articulated the anger, no, the RAGE, I’ve been feeling for many long years.

    I think that men like Freddy Boner are justifiably afraid of our anger because I fantasise about a day when women all over the world simply cannot take it. one. day. longer. I hope I live to see that day.

    Be afraid Freddy. Be very afraid.

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink
  173. raddad wrote:

    As a penis possessor (and lifelong recipient of a lot of kinds of privilege). I want to thank Sady, now and in the past, for opportunities to learn about unknowing things that people from groups that-are-trained-to-be-oppressors do. Commenters from this blog posts on Freddie’s blog were helpful too. I came for the Dollhouse, stayed for the jokes and take home anti-oppression.
    Note to Freddie and Andrew – I got to learn these things by listening.

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Permalink
  174. You rock in all ways possible.

    And I’m going to be giggling about [BONERS] for days.

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Permalink
  175. Lily wrote:

    joking is about confidence and claiming status and demanding attention, and there’s a reason women are underrepresented in comedy circles all over the country- keep joking, for the love of God, Sady, and thank you Freddie for being such a good punchline!

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
  176. smadin wrote:

    I got to learn these things by listening.

    Whaaaaaat? What a bizarre idea!

    Monday, April 12, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Permalink
  177. Lampdevil wrote:

    I want to be just like Sady Fucking Doyle when I grow up.

    Our anger is valuable, and our humor is valuable. And some douchebag will always find fault with either one of them, hm? What you’ve said really RESONATES with me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 10:49 am | Permalink
  178. PolyesterSpectre wrote:

    Little-known fact: in the Oxford English Dictionary, the entry for “WIN” simply says “See ‘DOYLE, SADY.’”

    C’mon, folks, all this talk of [BONERS] and *nobody* has mentioned Batman Boner-fest?

    http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=32:seduction-index&id=303:batmans-boner&Itemid=36

    [BONERS: THEY'RE EVERYWHERE YOU WANT TO BE.]

    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Permalink
  179. Leese wrote:

    I keep hearing “[Boners]” in that low-pitched voice on Dizzee Rascal’s “Bonkers”.

    “[BONERS.]

    I wake up, every day is a daydream …”

    Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Permalink
  180. michael wrote:

    hahaha yes dude

    Monday, April 19, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Permalink
  181. Phledge wrote:

    Here from Shapely Prose. From this day forth, whenever fail is uttered in my presence I shall silently block it out and replace it with [BONERS]. This was phenomenal, Sady–thank you a million times over.

    Thursday, April 22, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Permalink
  182. boingoboingo wrote:

    Wanda @142

    Freddie’s blog is that way. You might want to check it out.

    Friday, April 23, 2010 at 10:17 am | Permalink
  183. Chris C. wrote:

    A. Fucking Mazing. I laughed riotously and then donated.

    Friday, April 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Permalink
  184. minna wrote:

    Still boggles me that people don’t understand how important a tool humour is. Not just because of how efficiently it educates but because if I’m not laughing about it I’m going to cry, and I’m going to cry every fucking day.

    Right the fuck on, Sady fucking Doyle.

    Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Permalink
  185. nagasvoice wrote:

    If you will keep that lil donation button active till I get paid, I can dig around for change to buy some nice jokes, thank you. By now, after all the great comments, all I have to do is type that dreaded word, and y’all are gonna fall down and hurt y’selves laughing.
    Yep, I’m gonna do it.
    I’m gonna crack a *running gag.*
    [BONER]

    Sunday, April 25, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Permalink
  186. Melissa wrote:

    Wow, that Freddie really likes to talk about his [BONERS.]

    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink
  187. “We present serious, and subversive, and controversial subject matter here. More or less continually. We also make jokes. This is because serious, subversive, controversial subject matter tends to bore people, or scare them. If people are bored or scared, then they’re not learning. When they read Tiger Beatdown, they are entertained. They end up learning through the serious, subversive, and controversial points presented over the course of that entertainment. Also, they don’t feel like someone just had to shove a pill down their throats. We sneak it into the applesauce instead. Who doesn’t like applesauce, really?”

    Oh my god, I laughed so freaking at this passage and that whole ‘De Boners” thing.

    At the risk of losing whatever credibility I have as a blogger, Tigerbeatdown is like my person in the most Grey’s Anatomy of ways.

    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink
  188. also the term “sexualizing freddie” sounds like one of those bad ladyprons sold at “sex parties”.

    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink
  189. Freddie should really go get that checked out. Priapism isn’t good for anyone.

    Thursday, May 6, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink
  190. Towanda wrote:

    First-time commenter here, and new to the blog. I surfed over here via some other feminist blogs that were inspired by your takedown of Freddie and his [BONERS] to write posts about owning your own accomplishments without qualification or self-degradation (ala “I’m Sady fucking Doyle.”)

    Well, I had to go see the original. You had me giggling from the start, but when I read the “I’m Sady fucking Doyle” paragraph, (and this is going to sound so corny that I might barf) it brought a fucking tear to my eye. I felt uplifted. I felt inspired to stop checking myself every time I try to take credit for my own accomplishments.

    I don’t know a damn thing about you, Sady Doyle, (though I hope to improve upon that by reading through all your archives) but I know that you are fucking awesome.

    Friday, May 7, 2010 at 6:14 am | Permalink
  191. Hot Tramp wrote:

    OMG, [BONERS] made me laugh so hard my boyfriend thought I was going to hurt myself. So much win.

    Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 2:02 am | Permalink
  192. I am laughing uncontrollably at the fact that, every third comment or so, “Freddie” TRIES TO COMMENT AGAIN.

    *So* donated-to.

    Friday, May 21, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  193. Liz Henry wrote:

    I’m Liz fucking Henry and I adore this post and all that you say! Holy OMG Ponies!!!!!11!!!!!!! Rant on sister!

    Monday, July 19, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

5 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. links for 2010-04-10 « Embololalia on Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 2:11 pm

    [...] Tiger Beatdown › WHY TIGER BEATDOWN HAS JOKES ON IT: Turns Out Some Motherfucker Had To Ask Me Here’s the thing: I’m a person who gets scared or sad or angry a lot. I feel these emotions very intensely. I’m a passionate person, and I’m also a person whose experience of the world has been, at times, almost unbearably hard. I’m not going to tell you how or why, Freddie, because — among other reasons — I am keenly aware of the fact that I owe you jack shit, but if you have ever wondered if the more common and violent mechanisms for enforcing women’s oppression have affected me, personally, the answer is: Yep! And, like a lot of people who are oppressed in violent ways, I didn’t have the power to stop it or to erase it from my history. I was, in a sense, powerless. But then, at around the age of eleven or twelve, when things started getting really hard, I figured out that I did have one kind of power, after all. [...]

  2. [...] male studies class,) followed up by a dissection of said comments (and then even more followed) at WHY TIGER BEATDOWN HAS JOKES ON IT: Turns Out Some Motherfucker Had To Ask Me, then the most recent post in BonerGate 2k10 is Thank You For Subscribing to the Newsletter for the [...]

  3. [...] 23, 2010 So: what totally does not work? Trying to watch Sarah Haskins and/or read hilarious feminist brilliance while ghostwriting SRS BIZNIZ posts for law firm blogs. LOL@FAIL + nursing home negligence = DOES [...]

  4. Say Something Good « Raising My Boychick on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 4:13 am

    [...] an excellent reason for this: when we do, we are, invariably, attacked. We are women, and although we are apparently supposed to do all the [...]

  5. [...] to hold their attention and have their ideas validated but some are not? I think I’ve heard that [...]