Thank You For Subscribing to the Newsletter for the We Don’t Care About Freddie’s Boners Foundation

There are, as of this writing, one hundred and twenty eight published comments on the blog post in which we announced the creation of the We Don’t Care About Freddie’s Boners Foundation, a noble and charitable institution dedicated to not giving a flying fuck about what Freddie thinks on the following topics:

• Whether Amanda Hess and I would be good dates. (No, seriously, he wrote an extended meditation on whether he’d enjoy himself on a date with either one of us.)
  • Whether I make too many terrible seriousness-killing jokes, which of course makes me stupid and not really feminist, and of course also makes it harder for me to be “called out” by Freddie, which of course is a problem.
  • Whether I am therefore SUUUUUCH A BIIIIIIIITCH for obstructing his condescending lectures, life goal of being a “true feminist” who does not listen to women on the topic of feminism or consider women probably the best sources for learning about women’s oppression, and/or [BONERS.]

This is (she said, unresearchily) the highest number of comments we have ever gotten on a single post, with the exception of “13 Ways of Looking About Liz Lemon,” which was linked to by the Awl, the Atlantic Wire, and Newsweek (and lots of other places around the feminist and political blogosphere: I don’t mean to leave anyone out, I just became unable to keep up with the trackbacks at a certain point. The examples listed here are notable because they come from outside of even a generously defined “feminist blogosphere,” and brought us some pretty high traffic, and traffic from people who don’t often read Tiger Beatdown). And those comments came in over the course of several weeks. Meaning that this is certainly the highest volume of comments we have ever gotten overnight, without being linked to by several other high-traffic websites (that I know of: I am just waking up, and haven’t looked at my Google reader yet, and am not seeing trackbacks).

Here’s some more information about that high comment volume for you: There are, currently, exactly three comments being held in moderation because I consider them to be over the line. They are on the topic of:

• How I am CENSORING Freddie, with CENSORSHIP!
  • Why I am really being SO MEAN to Freddie. He’s trying! Surely a lady whom Freddie insulted, twice, on her personal blog, and on the topic of her writing style, intellectual capacity, dating skills, and TOTAL IRRATIONALITY LIKE WHY IS SHE SO OFFENDED ALL OF A SUDDEN, is required to give Freddie the benefit of the doubt and be nice to him! How will I ever advance the cause of feminism if I don’t treat Freddie nicely after he personally fucking insulted me more than once and did not listen to my explicit request that he shut the fuck up and go away? And honestly, why did I get so upset in the first place? Freddie’s raising important questions about feminism, and — AND I QUOTE — “he’s really (really) done it in an inoffensive way. You’ve gotten really defensive.”
  • How I am deeply, sexually obsessed with Freddie’s [BONER] and probably want it in me so bad right now.
  • No, seriously. The text of that last one is, in part, “Sady seems obsessed with Freddie’s penis. She’s probably fantasizing about it right now.”

Each of these three comments is by a person with a male screen name and/or a person who identifies explicitly as a “white straight cis dude” in his comment. I just thought you ought to know.

Stay tuned for updates, when we reach the 24-hour mark on our pledge drive, and you get to see how other people feel about Freddie’s Boners! In the meantime, of course, here is a button which one can press to show support for the We Don’t Care About Freddie’s Boners Foundations and its very exciting “dollar-a-joke” program. How many jokes do YOU want to oppress Freddie’s boners?

1. Abbey wrote:

We Don’t Care About Freddie’s Boners Foundation is my new favourite charitable cause. I look forward to seeing their future works.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Permalink
  2. Lee Brimmicombe-Wood wrote:

What do you intend to do with the dough? Not that it’s any of my business.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

@Lee: Mostly pay rent, buy reasonably priced food to cook for myself, keep the ol’ Internet connection running, remain able to reserve time to write and to run the site, maybe buy C.L. a drink or two when she’s down. You know, junk people do with money when they get paid to do their work.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Permalink
  4. TheDeviantE wrote:

What’s she gonna do with money? Probably spend it!!!

Jeez.

Sady, you rock, and yeah should be getting adequately paid for the hard work and dedication you put into this blog and also, the important charitable works you do by not caring about Freddie’s Boners.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Permalink
  5. Dorian wrote:

Just wanted you to know that I think you are ultra-fab and I fully support the We Don’t Care About Freddie’s Boners Foundation. I would donate, to make this point in a fiscal way! But I currently have $5.33 in my wallet and even less in the bank, so.

But I am donating in my heart.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Permalink
  6. Lee Brimmicombe-Wood wrote:

Sady, that sounds like a noble use of money.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Permalink
  7. jfruh wrote:

[BONERS]

I don’t really have anything intelligent to add, I just wanted to get in on the [BONERS]-typing hilarity.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Permalink
  8. Marley wrote:

I just donated $5; please use it to oppress Freddie by enjoying yourself in any way you see fit. :)

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Permalink
  9. Miss Smog wrote:

On my radio show last night, I highly recommended anyone needing to be cheered up, to visit Tiger Beatdown because honestly, who doesn’t love to see a beautiful sassy group of ladies (and some dudes) put the ol’ Beatdown on some freaking moron??????!!!!!!!!! And you are the most beautiful and sassy of all, Miss Sady FUCKING Doyle !!!!! I love you!!! I’ve been getting all Mama Cat up on the internet these last however many hours — thank you for everything you do for us and I hope you make a million dollars from this.
    Love ya,
    Soggy Smog

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Permalink
  10. Hendrik wrote:

[TODAY, WE ARE ALL FREDDIE'S BONERS!]

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink
  11. Raina wrote:

Perhaps donors at the $50 level could receive a tote bag. The possibilities as to what could be printed on the side of said tote bag are… kind of amazing.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink
  12. Alexa wrote:

PayPal is telling me:

“We were unable to decrypt the certificate id.”

…when I hit the donate button. How can I not care about the boners now?!

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Permalink
  13. Heather wrote:

Alexa- the button on the other post still works. :) Commence not caring about the boners.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Permalink
  14. Danielle LaBove wrote:

Sady! Promise that you will buy beers with some of these monies!

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
  15. NomadiCat wrote:

@ Alexa: The link on the previous post is still good if you want to try going over there.

As for you, Ms. Sady FUCKING Doyle, we salute (and donate to) you! Keep up the good oppression!

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
  16. ksoda wrote:

Sady, you are awesome. Keep the jokes coming.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink
  17. smadin wrote:

Indeed! I agree with Danielle LaBove, though whiskey would also be an acceptable use.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Permalink
  18. SKM wrote:

Donation made, madam! Also: Rock the Fuck on!

Oh, wait, one more thing: bonerbonerbonerbonerbonerboner! So fun to type.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Permalink
  19. Would love love love to donate $$ to this very charitable cause (you deserve many beer) but I must add to the pleas of poverty. At least ’til the 19th of April. Then I too shall oppress Freddie’s [BONERS].

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Permalink
  20. Finer Thing wrote:

I am a proud contributor to this fund. I am happy to improve flow to continue my engorgement, I mean, engagement in the feminist humors.

It turns out that Freddie also spurts artsplaining for the masses. He cites a membership to a large museum as the font of his knowledge. It’s pathetic.

I like Raina’s idea about tote bags; maybe Sady could create something she could sell on zazzle?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Permalink
  21. Madeleine wrote:

Donated. Keep the jokes coming as long as possible, Sady.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink
  22. Hume wrote:

As the author of one of the above-mentioned comments held in moderation (hint: not the one about [BONERS] or censorship), I’d like to clarify my point. Freddie, on closer examination (and in light of a bunch of his comments made since I originally submitted mine), turns out to be a pretentious douche who is definitely wrong about the role of humor in serious discourse (and about the quality of this blog, both as humor and as serious discourse). But I would have loved to see the Tiger Beatdown response take the high road. I know you’re smart enough about all this to beat him at his own game; why reduce it to boner jokes?

In any case, my larger point, which I think was lost in my trying to stand up for the wrong kind of male feminist, was this: what role is there for men in feminism? I’m not trying to wear the label to get Internet-laid or anything, but I think it’s an interesting question. Can a guy be right and a woman wrong about some point of feminist theory?

Or, a more open-ended question: ladies, what would you want from a male ally? Should we just butt out and leave you to swap ideas on your own, or is there a real way for men to make a difference?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

@Hume? You reduce it to boner jokes because boner jokes are funny. Done and done.

Also, there are these things? Called the internets? And google? Try them! We ladies are busy now, making boner jokes and chuckling. Shoo.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Permalink
  24. Annaham wrote:

Sady, you got URRRR SOOOOO MEEEEEN comments?

Welcome to the club, sister! I have gotten several of those types of comments myself as of late!

*high-fives*

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Permalink
  25. Finer Thing wrote:

Yes, Gayle Force… I was juuuuuust about to write to Hume and then I thought [BONERS] and died laughing again.

and

@Hume: http://tinyurl.com/ybneaza

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Permalink
  26. emjaybee wrote:

Hume, you may not understand what is going on here, but let me break it down for you: women are laughing at boners. Normally, we are expected to accomodate and/or worship them, so I know this is kind of a new thing and hard to adjust to.

But you’ll get used to it.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

@Hume

There have been some guest post by male feminists this week. Read them. They are examples of successful male feminism.

Sorry, we are not going to devote our time in these comments to answer your questions, though you seem to think you are owed our time, because we are making boner jokes.

Though another Sady post about men in feminism would be fun, and I’d encourage such a post (in a non-demanding way). I have also previously voiced my support for a Sady post about Dr. Who (in a non-demanding way). But oddly enough, I do not feel I’m entitled to a Dr. Who post, nor a male feminist post, because this is not my blog. It’s not your damn blog either Hume.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

“No, seriously. The text of that last one is, in part, “Sady seems obsessed with Freddie’s penis. She’s probably fantasizing about it right now.””

Because the best way to insult a woman is to imply that she is interested in teh sex.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

I hope you didn’t calculate the donation amount at the 24 hour mark, because I just got around to donating. :(

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Sady, you’re never going to get a date with Freddie’s boner until you’re more self-effacing and ladylike.

I kid!

Hume, http://tinyurl.com/ydh6ug4

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Permalink
  31. Wait, it’s a joke a dollar? Damn my need to pay the mortgage and buy food, because I think my donation covered maybe half of an excellent post full of boner jokes.

@Hume: Because I am feeling warm and fuzzy, knowing that I did my part to ensure that Sady will never “take the high road” (because the high road is not nearly so funny), I will helpfully direct you to http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/ where you may have many of your questions re: being a good ally answered. Enjoy.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Dammit, I’m so unoriginal :(

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Permalink
  33. inthepost wrote:

Sady Fucking Doyle, whenever you need a few bucks to keep the gears turning, you just say so. The donations will be modest but they will be consistent.

Oh, but I will require all the jokes I have paid for to be made WHILE TAKING THE LOW ROAD, preferably while running other fuckers right off said road and leaving a trail of tire-piercing nails and burned rubber tracks in your wake.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Permalink
  34. elne wrote:

i know that i was inspired to comment (and donate) in solidarity with one of my all time idols! you obviously handled it (understatement! lol) but i still felt slightly personally jilted to hear such a douche dis my fav writer. usually i just read but yes. i was well pleased i had monies in my paypal for you. i know you played around with the idea of tshirts, seriously if you have the time you could make some money i think, judging by the huge amount of fans you have amassed! i want you to be comfortable so that i get my dose of sanity and enjoyment (aka new posts) as often as possible. also you should write a book! and! make a movie!
    but mainly tshirts, i bet you could come up with all manner of snappy sayings and such. i say enlist readers to help. i could manage the australian branch of the tiger beatdown franchise for you?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Permalink
  35. smadin wrote:

Snobographer, Finer Thing: I love LMGTFY so much :-)

Hume,

Some ideas, and some individuals, do not, in fact, deserve “high road” or otherwise serious engagement. Sometimes, engaging seriously only plays into a troll’s derailing game; sometimes ribald mockery is the only appropriate and reasonable response.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Permalink
  36. Angela wrote:

@Hume, though you probably thought your comment in this thread was oh-so-reasonable, you’re still using quite a few Derailing for Dummies tips.

If You Won’t Educate Me How Can I Learn
    If You Cared About These Matters You’d Be Willing To Educate Me
    You’re Being Hostile
    You Are Damaging Your Cause By Being Angry

Most notably the first one. It is not Sady’s job, nor is it that of female commenters in this post, to tell you how to be a good ally. You’re even derailing in a more literal sense by deciding that the questions you have are SO IMPORTANT that we shouldn’t even talk about the post at hand, but instead discuss these things which interest you. If you truly think it’s our responsibility to collectively, as a uniform group, let you know what we want from you, that allows you to say “well it’s all those mean feminist’s fault that I’m a shitty ally right now because they never TOLD ME HOW TO DO IT RIGHT. *SOB*”

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 12:19 am | Permalink
  37. Sarah TX wrote:

OK, I would totally buy and use a line of tote bags with various satirical phrases on them, like

“Release the [BONERS]!”

“What are you doing, [BONERS]?”

“Who put these motherfucking [BONERS] on the motherfucking internet?!?!”

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 1:09 am | Permalink
  38. Geek wrote:

I have been a bad ally before in other situations (I’m female, so other situations than feminist ones :) ), saying this same shit for a different reason, and reading the internet fixed me.

Freddie may have to swallow his [BONERS] a bit, and he doesn’t like that you’ve put ketchup on it for him.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 1:22 am | Permalink
  39. Jaded16 wrote:

@ Hume – Stop impersonating the Buddha. We make [BONERS] jokes because they are funny.
    Also, get your head out of your arse. The world seems a lot less complicated that way.

@ Sady – Methinks Hume is another Freddie. How about setting up a fund for – I Don’t Care About What You Should Do To Become A Feminist Ally, Just Let Me Make Boners Jokes And Oh Shut The Fuck Up Foundation?

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 1:41 am | Permalink
  40. Maevele wrote:

If I give you money, can I earmark it for liquor for you and C.L?

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 1:50 am | Permalink
  41. Farore wrote:

“But I would have loved to see the Tiger Beatdown response take the high road. I know you’re smart enough about all this to beat him at his own game; why reduce it to boner jokes?”

But taking the high road wouldn’t be beating him at his own game! Beating him at his own game would mean choking down a textbook’s worth of logical fallacies and male entitlement and then puking it up all over the comment box. It’s not really a very fun game, especially if you don’t like puking :C

In other words: there is no point in trying to engage in conversation with someone who will only hear ‘BLAH BLAH BLAH I’M JUST A SILLY LADY WITH A SILLY LADYBRAIN BETTER GET BACK TO FIXIN’ A SAMMICH BLAH BLAH BLAH HURTING YOUR FEELINGS IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF MY BLOG BLAH BLAH BLAH’ even if you’re reciting Hamlet’s soliloquy to him. So, instead, the smart writer plays to the audience, in this case making us laugh with lots of [BONERS] and letting us show our appreciation in a monetary fashion.

Also, step one in being a male feminist: not asking women to tell you how to be a male feminist, but instead having the motivation to go out and find out for yourself on this magical internet thing we have here, without taking up anyone’s time in a thread that is very distinctly Not About You or Your Problems.

In conclusion: [BONERS].

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 2:45 am | Permalink
  42. bbrugger wrote:

You know what?

As an older feminist lefty broad these comment threads warm the fucking hell out of my heart. Because BLAH BLAH BLAH UR RIGHTZ UR ASKIN 4 THEM RONG BLAH BLAH BLAH is a pain in the ass to read/hear over and over for fucking decades and [BONERS] covers it just as well and at least it makes me laugh.

Go on with your bad self, Sady.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 3:06 am | Permalink
  43. I have to say, I am not yet exactly a “minion” of yours or even exactly a fan. But to paraphrase one of Freddie’s boner friends, in all this, you come out looking a lot better. And funnier. And not stupid.

And this fiasco gives me grist for the mill of “how not to act as a privileged person in spaces not about you” post that I really needed to get around to writing.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 3:33 am | Permalink
  44. It’s worth adding that Freddie, for all his whining about censorship, has turned off commenting to the offending posts. Ooops, too much for the big guy, I guess. I HAVE BEEN CENSORED. I DEMAND RESTITUTION! FREEDOM! ETC!

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 4:08 am | Permalink
  45. Jaded16 wrote:

Oh my god I checked out Freddie’s Link (some of us can’t help ourselves) and he’s MORE douche-y than it seems on his comments on Tiger Beatdown. DO NOT GO THERE. You will be drowned in his BONER JUICE. Learn from me people.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 4:28 am | Permalink
  46. Teresa wrote:

All this talk of [BONERS] made me think of this lovely t-shirt (sadly only sold i Sweden, by feminist magazine Bang): http://bang.se/butiken/

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 4:45 am | Permalink
  47. SKM wrote:

I want my Tiger Beatdown tote-bag to say “Reading The Internet Fixed Me” on it. *doffs cap to Geek*

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink
  48. Lee Brimmicombe-Wood wrote:

Ah yes. The internet. Populated by eggshells armed with hammers.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Permalink
  49. MsFeasance wrote:

Ah yes. The internet. Populated by eggshells armed with hammers.

Well, when even his boner has deserted him…

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Permalink
  50. Alden wrote:

Awesome. Just… awesome. I love you, Sady Fucking Doyle, in a totally platonic way.

Hume: [url=http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2009/01/nouning-considered-harmful.html]Check out this Shakesville post[/url]. The point isn’t whether or not people will call you a feminist: It’s whether, regardless of gender, you’re acting in a feminist manner. Its amazing how much good you can get done when you stop worrying about whether people care.

And… [BONERS]. Because it’s fun.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Permalink
  51. doublenerds wrote:

Technical question: I tried to donate but keep receiving the error message “we were unable to decrypt the certificate id”.

Any suggestions on how I can get past this to express via the expenditure of dollars my indifference to Freddie’s [BONER]?

Monday, April 12, 2010 at 7:48 am | Permalink

@doublenerds: Maybe go to the button in the previous post, instead of the one here? This button seems to have Some Troubles. Which I have not fixed, because I don’t want to be greedy.

Monday, April 12, 2010 at 8:28 am | Permalink
  53. TheDeviantE wrote:

@Sady Fucking Doyle: BE GREEDY (I mean, if you want to)!!! You Deserve it! Seriously.

Monday, April 12, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Permalink
  54. doublenerds wrote:

Thanks, Sady – the link on your previous post works splendidly.

Monday, April 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Permalink
  55. slythwolf wrote:

I am too broke to donate. Which sucks, because just last night I was thinking to myself, “I would like to buy this Sady Doyle person a drink for being FUCKING AWESOME,” and I cannot. But if this possible employment thing I am looking into works out, then I will be able to!

But in the meantime, okay, I play a lot of World of Warcraft, and on Friday my guild runs a particular raid, in which one of the bosses sometimes reanimates her little friends as skeletons which we, being so fucking mature, refer to as “boners”. So when I am killing boners in my video game I will be thinking of Tiger Beatdown!

Monday, April 26, 2010 at 11:59 am | Permalink

One Trackback/Pingback

1. [...] ON IT: Turns Out Some Motherfucker Had To Ask Me, then the most recent post in BonerGate 2k10 is Thank You For Subscribing to the Newsletter for the We Don’t Care About Freddie’s Boners Foundat…, which doubles as a pledge drive if you enjoyed Sady’s handling of the [...]