There are, as of this writing, one hundred and twenty eight published comments on the blog post in which we announced the creation of the We Don’t Care About Freddie’s Boners Foundation, a noble and charitable institution dedicated to not giving a flying fuck about what Freddie thinks on the following topics:
- Whether Amanda Hess and I would be good dates. (No, seriously, he wrote an extended meditation on whether he’d enjoy himself on a date with either one of us.)
- Whether I make too many terrible seriousness-killing jokes, which of course makes me stupid and not really feminist, and of course also makes it harder for me to be “called out” by Freddie, which of course is a problem.
- Whether I am therefore SUUUUUCH A BIIIIIIIITCH for obstructing his condescending lectures, life goal of being a “true feminist” who does not listen to women on the topic of feminism or consider women probably the best sources for learning about women’s oppression, and/or [BONERS.]
This is (she said, unresearchily) the highest number of comments we have ever gotten on a single post, with the exception of “13 Ways of Looking About Liz Lemon,” which was linked to by the Awl, the Atlantic Wire, and Newsweek (and lots of other places around the feminist and political blogosphere: I don’t mean to leave anyone out, I just became unable to keep up with the trackbacks at a certain point. The examples listed here are notable because they come from outside of even a generously defined “feminist blogosphere,” and brought us some pretty high traffic, and traffic from people who don’t often read Tiger Beatdown). And those comments came in over the course of several weeks. Meaning that this is certainly the highest volume of comments we have ever gotten overnight, without being linked to by several other high-traffic websites (that I know of: I am just waking up, and haven’t looked at my Google reader yet, and am not seeing trackbacks).
Here’s some more information about that high comment volume for you: There are, currently, exactly three comments being held in moderation because I consider them to be over the line. They are on the topic of:
- How I am CENSORING Freddie, with CENSORSHIP!
- Why I am really being SO MEAN to Freddie. He’s trying! Surely a lady whom Freddie insulted, twice, on her personal blog, and on the topic of her writing style, intellectual capacity, dating skills, and TOTAL IRRATIONALITY LIKE WHY IS SHE SO OFFENDED ALL OF A SUDDEN, is required to give Freddie the benefit of the doubt and be nice to him! How will I ever advance the cause of feminism if I don’t treat Freddie nicely after he personally fucking insulted me more than once and did not listen to my explicit request that he shut the fuck up and go away? And honestly, why did I get so upset in the first place? Freddie’s raising important questions about feminism, and — AND I QUOTE — “he’s really (really) done it in an inoffensive way. You’ve gotten really defensive.”
- How I am deeply, sexually obsessed with Freddie’s [BONER] and probably want it in me so bad right now.
- No, seriously. The text of that last one is, in part, “Sady seems obsessed with Freddie’s penis. She’s probably fantasizing about it right now.”
Each of these three comments is by a person with a male screen name and/or a person who identifies explicitly as a “white straight cis dude” in his comment. I just thought you ought to know.
Stay tuned for updates, when we reach the 24-hour mark on our pledge drive, and you get to see how other people feel about Freddie’s Boners! In the meantime, of course, here is a button which one can press to show support for the We Don’t Care About Freddie’s Boners Foundations and its very exciting “dollar-a-joke” program. How many jokes do YOU want to oppress Freddie’s boners?